ESC not working as intended, what am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
In summary, the person was trying to wire up a brushless motor to a 20A electronic speed controller. However, when they plugged it in, there was a short circuit and no reaction from the motor. After examining a picture of the setup, it was suggested that the leads may be bare and touching each other. The person then explained that the white thing was the electronic speed controller and that the third wire was for extra power from the battery. The issue was eventually resolved by connecting the controller to a microcontroller and giving it the right signals.
Jarfi
So I got my 20A Electronic speed controller, decided to wire it up to a motor, soldered everything, plugged it in, and then decided to give it a little shock to see if it would come alive.

Nope, all I got was sparks, indicating a short circuit, and no reaction from the motor, it seems like it was not powering the motor at all but simply flowing in a closed circuit,

here is a picture of the whole deal.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Picture 647.jpg
    Picture 647.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 417
Engineering news on Phys.org
Impossible to tell from that picture. I see a (disconnected) battery pack, some white thing with a number of leads sticking out of it, and a motor with a propeller. What are all of those leads? What is the white thing? It looks like the leads going into the motor might be bare and touching each other.

tfr000 said:
Impossible to tell from that picture. I see a (disconnected) battery pack, some white thing with a number of leads sticking out of it, and a motor with a propeller. What are all of those leads? What is the white thing? It looks like the leads going into the motor might be bare and touching each other.

The white thing is the electronic speed controller, I have tried with the leads not touching each others, that is not the problem.

On the left we have a brushless-motor, with three "stages" connected to an electronic speed controller(white thingy), in the back of the electronic speed controller are 3 wires. 2 are red and black and those draw the power, the third connector is for extra power from the battery, for servos and such(unless it is suppost to go to ground& in that case it might be the problem). But it says the third wire is BEC some sort of extra battery power for servos, radio control and such.

tfr000 said:

This might help.

Attachments

• Diagram24.jpg
    Diagram24.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 418
How did you know which of the motor leads connected to which of the controller leads?
How did you know which of the leads were power from the battery? Did you just guess?
Brushless motors are sometimes computer-controlled. It looks like your controller might want to be plugged into some kind of controller circuit - the "power for other purposes" connector looks like a low-current signal connector.

tfr000 said:
How did you know which of the motor leads connected to which of the controller leads?
How did you know which of the leads were power from the battery? Did you just guess?
Brushless motors are sometimes computer-controlled. It looks like your controller might want to be plugged into some kind of controller circuit - the "power for other purposes" connector looks like a low-current signal connector.

Hey, I've found the problem and got it up and running perfectly

You were right, that other purposes thingy is both for receiving signals and for giving low voltage too i think. When I connected it to a microcontroller and gave it the right signals it worked. It receives signals such as, Arm the motor, turn on/off and you can even control the speed of the motor.

1. Why is my ESC not working at all?

There could be several reasons why your ESC is not working at all. Some common possibilities include a faulty ESC unit, incorrect wiring, or a damaged motor. It is important to troubleshoot and check all connections and components to determine the root cause of the issue.

2. My ESC is not responding to my transmitter, what should I do?

If your ESC is not responding to your transmitter, the first step is to check the signal wire connection between the ESC and the receiver. Make sure it is securely plugged in and there are no loose or damaged wires. You should also check the transmitter settings to ensure it is properly configured for your ESC and motor.

3. How do I calibrate my ESC?

To calibrate your ESC, you will first need to disconnect the motor and remove the propeller. Then, power on your ESC and transmitter, and follow the calibration instructions specific to your ESC brand and model. This typically involves setting the throttle to full and then to zero, and waiting for a series of beeps or LED flashes to indicate successful calibration.

4. Can I use a different brand of ESC with my current motor?

It is generally recommended to use an ESC from the same brand as your motor to ensure compatibility and optimal performance. However, as long as the ESC is compatible with your motor's specifications and is properly configured, it should work without any issues.

5. Why is my ESC overheating?

An ESC can overheat if it is being overloaded or if there is poor airflow around it. Make sure you are not asking too much of your ESC and that it is not being obstructed by other components. You can also try adding a heatsink or fan to help dissipate the heat. If the problem persists, it could be a sign of a faulty ESC and it may need to be replaced.