1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Establishing double integral limits

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What would be the limits for each of the integrals (one with respect to x, one with respect to y) of an area bounded by y=0, y=x and x^2+y^2=1?

2. Relevant equations

None that I can fathom

3. The attempt at a solution

I've rearranged the latter most equation to get x=√(1-y^2) and tried subbing in values for y=0 and y=x but that does not seem to work correctly.

If it helps this is part of a problem that involves evaluating an integral by first changing the variables from x and y to u and v; while I am given what the new limits are in terms of u and v I cannot seem to be able to work backwards to obtain them in terms of x and y.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you draw a diagram of those boundaries you'll see they define four closed regions. Which one do you want?

4. Jan 20, 2013 #3
    Another words, you want to compute the area in carteasian coordinates and to avoid doing two double integrals, integrate with respect to x first, then y so need to compute:

[tex]\int_{y=y_0}^{y=y_1} \int_{x=g_1(y)}^{x=g_2(y)} 1 dxdy[/tex]

You drew a picture yet? I did and x is going from that diagonal line to the circle. Need to get both of those in terms of x(y). The diagonal line is easy. It's [itex]g_1(y)=x(y)=y[/itex]. You can express the ending limit on x by expressing x as a function of y for the equation of the circle. That gives you the inner integral. Now what is the limits on y? Well, y is going from zero to the point where the diagonal line hits the circle. You can finish it.

Edit: Oh, I see what haruspex is saying. I'm assuming it's below the diagonal line in the first quadrant. If not sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook