Estimate integral. (Lp Spaces, Holder)

In summary, the problem at hand can be solved using the Holder inequality by taking the cube root of both sides and using different values for p and q. Using p=3 and q=3/2, the inequality can be proven, unlike when using p=q=2.
ChemEng1

Homework Statement

Show that: [itex]\left(\int^{0}_{1}\frac{x^{\frac{1}{2}}dx}{(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}}\right)^{3}\leq\frac{8}{5}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Holder inequality.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I took the cube root of each side. This let me just deal with the 1-norm on the left. Then I broke the function into 2 parts: f=numerator. g=1/denominator. The 2-norm of each function is integrable. |f|2=(1/2)^(1/2). |g|2=3^(1/2). |f|2*|g|2=(3/2)^(1/2)>(8/5)^(1/3), which is counter the claim. So I obviously missed something.

Where is the flaw in this approach? Are there better approaches to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have used the inequality

[tex]\int_0^1 |fg|\leq \left(\int_0^1 |f|^p\right)^{1/p}\left(\int_0^1 |g|^q\right)^{1/q}[/tex]

with the functions ##f(x)=x^{1/2}## and ##g(x) = (1-x)^{-1/3}##. This is correct.

However, you have used ##p=q=2##. This gives you an inequality, but not the correct one. Try to use other constants.

I was hoping that I was missing a more strategic approach. (I had already tried working through it with q=3 but ran into unboundedness of g. Working with 2 solved the unboundedness problem, but missed the mark.)

Problem does solve with p=3 and q=3/2. Thanks for the help.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a quantity over a given range.

2. What are Lp spaces?

Lp spaces are a type of function space used in mathematical analysis and measure theory. They consist of all functions that satisfy a certain norm condition, which allows for the study of various properties of these functions.

3. How do you estimate an integral?

To estimate an integral, you can use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the area under the curve into smaller sections and using the values of the function at specific points to approximate the total area.

4. What is the Holder condition?

The Holder condition is a mathematical condition that must be met for a function to be considered a member of an Lp space. It states that the function must have a certain level of smoothness and continuity, which is measured by a parameter called the Holder exponent.

5. Why are Lp spaces important in mathematics?

Lp spaces are important in mathematics because they allow for the study of various properties of functions, such as their smoothness and continuity. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.