1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate integral. (Lp Spaces, Holder)

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that: [itex]\left(\int^{0}_{1}\frac{x^{\frac{1}{2}}dx}{(1-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}}\right)^{3}\leq\frac{8}{5}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Holder inequality.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I took the cube root of each side. This let me just deal with the 1-norm on the left. Then I broke the function into 2 parts: f=numerator. g=1/denominator. The 2-norm of each function is integrable. |f|2=(1/2)^(1/2). |g|2=3^(1/2). |f|2*|g|2=(3/2)^(1/2)>(8/5)^(1/3), which is counter the claim. So I obviously missed something.

Where is the flaw in this approach? Are there better approaches to this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have used the inequality

[tex]\int_0^1 |fg|\leq \left(\int_0^1 |f|^p\right)^{1/p}\left(\int_0^1 |g|^q\right)^{1/q}[/tex]

with the functions ##f(x)=x^{1/2}## and ##g(x) = (1-x)^{-1/3}##. This is correct.

However, you have used ##p=q=2##. This gives you an inequality, but not the correct one. Try to use other constants.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    I was hoping that I was missing a more strategic approach. (I had already tried working through it with q=3 but ran into unboundedness of g. Working with 2 solved the unboundedness problem, but missed the mark.)

Problem does solve with p=3 and q=3/2. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted