1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating discharge at the outflow structure of a lake

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    I am a fisheries biologist interested in manipulating a lake level by about six inches via a box cement outlet structure on a small lake. The outlet structure is currently governed by two adjacent 5ft by 0.5ft dam boards,which have historically been removed one at a time in the spring and replaced in the fall. However pulling whole boards releases too much water at once so I am trying to figure out whether incrementally lower boards would make a meaningful difference in Q.

As a starting point I am trying to figure out how much pressure is behind the 70 acre lake and what the average velocity (ft/sec) would be across the 2.5 square ft opening without the benefit of a flow meter. Is there a mathematical relationship between the impounded water and the velocity at the outlet? If there is then I could figure out the discharge for different square openings in the outlet structure, ie: cfs = ft/sec* length*width of the opening...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi salconflu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Pressure depends only on depth, and not on horizontal area …

the pressure from the whole lake is exactly the same as the pressure at the same height in your bath. :wink:

From Bernoulli's equation the velocity is proportional to the square-root of the depth: v2 = 2ρgh.

And obviously the total flow is also proportional to the vertical area of the hole.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook