Estimating Energy in a Gallon of Gasoline

  • Thread starter Thread starter fk378
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Gasoline
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Estimate the amount of energy (in J) in a gallon of gasoline by imagining that there is about 4 eV of energy for every carbon atom.


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know of any equations that would relate eV to J. But I do know that there are 6.022 x 10^23 atoms/mole.

How do I get started on this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fk378 said:

Homework Statement


Estimate the amount of energy (in J) in a gallon of gasoline by imagining that there is about 4 eV of energy for every carbon atom.

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know of any equations that would relate eV to J. But I do know that there are 6.022 x 10^23 atoms/mole.

How do I get started on this?

First you will need to know what the chemical formula for gasoline is won't you? (Maybe use octane as representative?) Then know much by weight in a gallon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Density
Then how many moles that represents.
Then count your carbon footprint and multiply by 4 eV
And then convert to Joules.
Wikipedia said:
1 electron volt = 1.60217646 × 10-19 joules