MSc Physics ETH Zürich: Info on Class Schedules, Exams & More

In summary, the Master of Science in Physics at ETHZ provides a challenging and flexible program with a focus on research. Exams are typically held during the lecture break and lectures and exercises are conducted in English. It is possible to complete the program in one year and to do the master's thesis abroad, but this may vary depending on individual circumstances.
Q.B.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information about the Master of Science in Physics at ETHZ. I received an admission proposal and look for up-to-date descriptions of a few aspects of the cursus.
-First, I struggle to find short and synthetic descriptions of class schedules, and especially exams schedules.
If I've understood well, exams take place during the lectures break, which lasts at least two months. Could somebody presently at ETHZ describe/send a snapshot of his week schedule and exam schedule, in order to have an example, and tell us how much time a student needs to spend working, on average?
I'm french, so I also wondered if I could manage to have my exams close to each other, and have a few time home without having to stay in Switzerland during the whole break, or pay too much in train trips.
-I also wonder if all the lectures and exercises class are in english, as I am told. I've seen in France foreign students been told "slides will be in english, but I will speak french during lectures" and struggle, and I would not like to attend a course in German.
-Are the lectures notes or books allowed during exams?
-Some say the whole master, including the master thesis, can be done in a single year. How true is it? And the school website indicates that master thesis could be done abroad, but how often does this happen?

Thank you very much to those who will reply!

Likes ancientlord
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Congratulations on your admission to the Master of Science in Physics at ETHZ! I would be happy to provide you with up-to-date information about the program.

Regarding your first question about class and exam schedules, the best way to get accurate and current information is to contact the program coordinator or a student currently enrolled in the program. They will be able to give you a detailed breakdown of their weekly and exam schedules. However, in general, exams at ETHZ do take place during the lecture break, which typically lasts for two months. Students are expected to spend a significant amount of time studying and preparing for exams during this break, so it is important to plan your schedule accordingly.

As for your concern about managing your exams and having time to go home, this can vary depending on your individual course schedule and exam dates. However, ETHZ does offer a flexible exam schedule, so it may be possible to arrange your exams to be close together and have some time to go home. Again, it is best to consult with the program coordinator or current students for more specific information.

Regarding the language of instruction, all lectures and exercises are conducted in English at ETHZ. You will not have to worry about attending a course in German. However, some professors may speak French during lectures, so it is always a good idea to clarify with them beforehand if you have any language concerns.

In terms of exam materials, the use of lecture notes and books during exams may vary depending on the course and the professor's instructions. It is best to confirm with your professor before the exam.

Finally, it is possible to complete the entire master's program, including the thesis, in one year. However, this may require a significant amount of dedication and hard work. As for completing the master's thesis abroad, this is also possible, but it may not be a common practice. It would depend on your individual research interests and the availability of opportunities.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck in your studies at ETHZ!

1. What is the class schedule like for the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich?

The class schedule for the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich varies depending on the courses you choose and the semester. However, in general, classes are held Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. It is recommended to check the specific schedule for your chosen courses in advance.

2. How are exams conducted in the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich?

Exams in the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich are typically conducted at the end of each semester. They can be in the form of written exams, oral exams, or a combination of both. Some courses may also have mid-term exams. The specific format of the exams will be communicated by the course instructor.

3. Are there any prerequisites for the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich?

Yes, there are certain prerequisites for the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich. Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, a strong background in mathematics, and a good level of English proficiency. Additionally, some courses may have specific prerequisites, which will be mentioned in the course descriptions.

4. How long does it take to complete the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich?

The MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich typically takes two years to complete. This includes four semesters of coursework and a final thesis project. However, the program can be completed in a longer or shorter period depending on the individual's pace and course load.

5. Are there any opportunities for practical experience in the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich?

Yes, the MSc Physics program at ETH Zürich offers practical experience through research projects, internships, and laboratory work. Students can also choose to do their thesis project in collaboration with an industry partner or at one of the many research institutions affiliated with ETH Zürich. These opportunities provide valuable hands-on experience and can also lead to future job opportunities.