Eukaryotes - all descended from a single eukaryote?

• Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date
In summary, the thread discusses the evolution of life, focusing on the origin of eukaryotes. There are several different eukaryote phylogentic trees, but all eukaryotes belong to a monophyletic domain. The last common ancestor of all living eukaryotes is still unknown, but is most likely a eukaryote. It is important to distinguish the question of "was the last common ancestor of all currently living eukaryotes itself a eukaryote?" from the question of "was the last common ancestor of all living and extinct eukaryotes (the "first ever eukaryote") itself a eukaryote?" The answer to the first question
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The first of several posts on the evolution of life, mostly in the Archean and Proterozoic eons.

This thread is about the origin of eukaryotes.

I understand there are several different eukaryote phylogentic trees, but that (by definition?) all eukaryotes belong to a monophyletic domain - or is that just one hypothesis among many?

Is the last common ancestor of eukaryotes - if there was one - a eukaryote? I expect there is no firm answer to this question, but I'd like to know what the main, current, hypotheses are.

Related to this is the question of the origin of the eukaryote organelles, specifically the ones which have their own DNA.

First, are the only eukaryote organelles with DNA mitochondria and plastids? If not, what others, even rare, eukaryote organelles have DNA?

Second, as far as is known, do all eukaryote mitochondria have a common ancestor? Or do there appear to have been several separate instances of endosymbiosis?

Third, same question for the plastids, perhaps separate questions for the various kinds (e.g. chloroplasts).

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
There are of course many, many open questions in phylogenetics and systematics. Within margins of error, phylogenetic trees of eukaryotes generally converge. This is often termed consilience of independent phylogenies and is strong empirical evidence for common descent. What you might be saying is that there are many branches in the domain Eukarya itself, and this is of course true; not all Eukarya belong to the same phylum. Eukarya is, as I understand it, most likely monophyletic.

It is important to separate the questions "was the last common ancestor of all currently living eukaryotes itself a eukaryote?" with "was the last common ancestor of all living and extinct eukaryotes (the "first ever eukaryote") itself a eukaryote?" The answer to the first question is probably yes, and the answer to the last may be currently unknown.

Consider an analogy with humans. The most recent common ancestor of all humans alive today with respect to matrilineal descent is mitochondrial Eve. She lived around 200000 years ago, but this does not mean that she was the first human female, other females probably lived around her time, but their lineages eventually when extinct. We do not know very much about her personally, but it is safe to say that she did not die childless.

As for your question of endosymbiosis, it is currently accepted that the ancestors of current mitochondria may have undergone endosymbiosis once, but chloroplasts have multiple origins. For instance, plastids are present in many different groups of unicellular eukaryotes which are closely related to organisms lacking plastids.

Mkorr said:
There are of course many, many open questions in phylogenetics and systematics. Within margins of error, phylogenetic trees of eukaryotes generally converge. This is often termed consilience of independent phylogenies and is strong empirical evidence for common descent. What you might be saying is that there are many branches in the domain Eukarya itself, and this is of course true; not all Eukarya belong to the same phylum. Eukarya is, as I understand it, most likely monophyletic.

It is important to separate the questions "was the last common ancestor of all currently living eukaryotes itself a eukaryote?" with "was the last common ancestor of all living and extinct eukaryotes (the "first ever eukaryote") itself a eukaryote?" The answer to the first question is probably yes, and the answer to the last may be currently unknown.

Consider an analogy with humans. The most recent common ancestor of all humans alive today with respect to matrilineal descent is mitochondrial Eve. She lived around 200000 years ago, but this does not mean that she was the first human female, other females probably lived around her time, but their lineages eventually when extinct. We do not know very much about her personally, but it is safe to say that she did not die childless.

As for your question of endosymbiosis, it is currently accepted that the ancestors of current mitochondria may have undergone endosymbiosis once, but chloroplasts have multiple origins. For instance, plastids are present in many different groups of unicellular eukaryotes which are closely related to organisms lacking plastids.
Thanks Mkorr.

I kinda expected that the answer to the question "was the last common ancestor of all living and extinct eukaryotes (the "first ever eukaryote") itself a eukaryote?" would be "not known, and may never be known", but I thought it was worth asking.

I'd read that chloroplasts seem to have had multiple origins, so thanks for the confirmation (I'd like to explore this in greater depth, but in another thread).

Are mitochondria and plastids the only eukaryote organelles with their own DNA?

And on terminology, are all chloroplasts plastids (I think yes)?
Are all plastids chloroplasts (I think no, but don't know what ones aren't)?
Do all plastids have their own DNA (I think yes)?

1. What is a eukaryote?

A eukaryote is a type of organism that has a complex cell structure, with a nucleus and other organelles surrounded by a membrane. They are found in all types of environments and include plants, animals, fungi, and protists.

2. How are all eukaryotes descended from a single eukaryote?

All eukaryotes are believed to have evolved from a single common ancestor, known as the last universal common ancestor (LUCA). This ancestor is thought to have existed around 1.6 billion years ago and gave rise to all eukaryotic life on Earth.

3. What evidence supports the idea that all eukaryotes share a common ancestor?

There are several lines of evidence that support the idea of a single common ancestor for all eukaryotes. This includes similarities in the structure and function of eukaryotic cells, as well as genetic and molecular evidence such as the presence of similar genes and proteins in all eukaryotes.

4. Are there any exceptions to the idea that all eukaryotes share a common ancestor?

While the majority of eukaryotes are believed to share a common ancestor, there are a few exceptions. For example, there is evidence that some eukaryotes may have arisen through a process called endosymbiosis, where one organism lives inside another and eventually becomes a permanent part of its host.

5. Why is the concept of a single common ancestor for all eukaryotes important?

The idea of a single common ancestor for all eukaryotes is important because it helps us understand the evolution and diversity of life on Earth. It also provides a framework for studying and classifying different eukaryotic organisms, and can help us identify common traits and relationships between different species.