Euler's formula & expressing combinations of sin and cos as cos

In summary, the professor uses Euler's formula and partial fraction decomposition to solve the Laplace transform of a circuit, resulting in an expression for the cosine function in exponential form. The use of Euler's identities allows for a simpler solution without the need for complicated math formulas. The argument of the cosine function will always be a positive constant multiplied by t with a positive phase angle.
skweiler
I have a rather difficult math problem. In my circuits class the professor prefers to express the cosine function using Euler's formula as (ejwt+ejwt)/2. Last semester for the final, one of the problem's solutions (that he gave us) used partial fraction decomposition to solve the Laplace transform of a circuit. I am certain that the math is correct but I do not understand how he came up with 22.36cos(0.5t+63.43) from Vc={(10(s-1)/[(s+j0.5)(s-j0.5)]} volts. After the partial fraction decomposition he comes up with A=10(1.118 at an angle of (-153.43+90) degrees) and B=10(1.118 at an angle of (153.43-90) degrees). This comes to 11.18 at an angle of +/-63.43 degrees. Translated into exponential form: 11.18[e-j0.5t-63.43 +ej0.5t+63.43]. What I don't understand is how he is able without a very complicated math formula (which I obtained from my former calculus professor) to go from this latest step to the answer. Will the argument of the cosine always be a positive constant multiplied by t with a positive phase angle? Note: in circuits the imaginary "i" is written as "j" to avoid confusion with current (i). Also, "w" is equal to lowercase omega. My goal in understanding this problem is to be able to express all sines and cosines as cosines and rid myself of the need to memorize the formula for converting the Laplace transform to sines and cosines.

Physics news on Phys.org
skweiler said:
I have a rather difficult math problem. In my circuits class the professor prefers to express the cosine function using Euler's formula as (ejwt+ejwt)/2. Last semester for the final, one of the problem's solutions (that he gave us) used partial fraction decomposition to solve the Laplace transform of a circuit. I am certain that the math is correct but I do not understand how he came up with 22.36cos(0.5t+63.43) from Vc={(10(s-1)/[(s+j0.5)(s-j0.5)]} volts. After the partial fraction decomposition he comes up with A=10(1.118 at an angle of (-153.43+90) degrees) and B=10(1.118 at an angle of (153.43-90) degrees). This comes to 11.18 at an angle of +/-63.43 degrees. Translated into exponential form: 11.18[e-j0.5t-63.43 +ej0.5t+63.43].

I think you mean to have parentheses in those exponents:

11.18[e-j(0.5t-63.43) +ej(0.5t+63.43)]
What I don't understand is how he is able without a very complicated math formula (which I obtained from my former calculus professor) to go from this latest step to the answer. Will the argument of the cosine always be a positive constant multiplied by t with a positive phase angle? Note: in circuits the imaginary "i" is written as "j" to avoid confusion with current (i). Also, "w" is equal to lowercase omega. My goal in understanding this problem is to be able to express all sines and cosines as cosines and rid myself of the need to memorize the formula for converting the Laplace transform to sines and cosines.

He is using the Euler identities. You have

e = cos(θ) + i sin(θ)
e-iθ = cos(θ) - i sin(θ)

Add these together

e + e-iθ = 2 cos(θ)

Multiply by r and you have the identity he is using:

r(e + e-iθ) = 2rcos(θ)

Thank you this helps a lot.

1. What is Euler's formula and how is it used?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine to the complex exponential function. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is the angle in radians. It is commonly used in many fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and statistics.

2. How can Euler's formula be expressed as a combination of sine and cosine?

Using Euler's formula, we can express the exponential function e^(ix) in terms of sine and cosine as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). This means that any exponential expression can be rewritten as a combination of sine and cosine functions.

3. What is the relationship between Euler's formula and trigonometric identities?

Euler's formula is closely related to the trigonometric identities of sine and cosine. In fact, Euler's formula can be used to prove many of these identities, such as the double angle formulas and the Pythagorean identities. This makes it a powerful tool in solving trigonometric equations and problems.

4. How can we use Euler's formula to express complex numbers?

Euler's formula can also be used to express complex numbers in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. By setting x equal to the angle in radians, we can rewrite the complex number as a combination of sine and cosine functions, making it easier to work with in calculations and equations.

5. Can Euler's formula be extended to higher dimensional spaces?

Yes, Euler's formula can be extended to higher dimensional spaces using the concept of quaternions. Quaternions are similar to complex numbers, but they have four components instead of two. The formula e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x) can be extended to e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x) + jcos(x) + ksin(x), where j and k are additional imaginary units. This allows for the use of Euler's formula in three-dimensional and four-dimensional spaces.