1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate both sides of divergence theorem

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

NOTE: don't know see the phi symbol so I used theta. this is cylindrical coordinates not spherical.

Given the field D = 6ρsin(θ/2)ap + 1.5ρcos(θ/2)aθ C/m^2 , evaluate both sides of the divergence theorem for the region bounded by ρ=2, θ=0 to ∏, and z = 0 to 5

2. Relevant equations

∫D * dS = ∫ ∇ * D dV

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer (to both sides of course) is 225. I figured out how to do the divergence side, but I'm having problems evaluating the left (surface) side. The way I'm doing it is that the z-component is zero since the equation for D only has a rho and phi.

From here I'm evaluating ∫∫Dp*pdθdZ from 0 to pi for dθ and 0 to 5 for dz.

I plug in p = 2 as an "initial condition", and when I calculate the integral through I keep getting 240 even though the answer is 225. Any ideas what's going on? Maybe my integral is just wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are only integrating over part of the surface. You have half a cylinder, it also has a top, a bottom and a flat side. You are only doing the rounded side. Can you picture it? What other part of the surface might contribute to your integral?

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Hmm. I thought about that but my answer didn't really change and here's why:

The cylinder has 4 sides, right? Rounded, opposite of rounded (flat), top, and bottom. However, from the given equation for D, we only have a rho and phi component. That automatically makes the top and bottom zero.

WAIT, are you saying that I need to do a coordinate conversion and then calculate the surface dxdz?

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. That's where you'll find the -15 missing units of surface flux. Very sharp of you to figure out how to do it. You are almost there.

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5
    Took a while but got it right :approve:

Thanks for the help mate!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook