1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the definite integral

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the definite integral from 0 to 18.
    ∫[x/(9+4x)^1/2]dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know to use u-substitution and I set u = (9+4x)^1/2. I can't figure out where i'm messing up because I keep ending up with very large numbers which are incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My first move would be to simplify the surd with x = 9u/4. Seeing the (1+u)-1/2 that results, I would then use a trig substitution for u. tan2 or sinh2 will eliminate the surd.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your substitution should work. Show us what you did.

When you make your substitution, make sure that you change everything. You shouldn't have x's and dx's in your integral after the substitution.

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4
    I finally got it using the substitution I mentioned. I think I was screwing up because I didn't change the limits of integration for the new variable. Thanks for the help.

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5

Mark44

If the radicand were the sum or difference of squares, I would take this approach, but in this case a much simpler approach will work.

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6

Mark44

You don't necessarily need to change the limits of integration. If, after you have your antiderivative (as a function of u), you can undo the substitution to get the equivalent form in terms of x. At that point just plug in the limits of integration.

Schematically it's like this:
    $$ \int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_{x = a}^b g(u)du = G(u)\vert_{x = a}^b = F(x)\vert_{x = a}^b = F(b) - F(a)$$

If you decide not to change the limits of integration, it's helpful to note that they are values of x by adding "x = ..." in the lower limit.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook