1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the integral from standard from

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    evaluate [itex]\int[/itex]e^([itex]\frac{\kappa*x^2}{2KT}[/itex])dx with limits of integration from -infinity to +infinity using the standard form [itex]\int[/itex]e^(-C*x2)dx = ([itex]\frac{\pi}{4C}[/itex])1/2 with limits of integration from 0 to +infinity. Note κ, k, and T are constants. In the standard form c indicates a constant. Note the function being integrated is an even function: f(x)=f(-x).

3. The attempt at a solution

Well looking at the equation I see C=[itex]\frac{-\kappa}{2KT}[/itex]. I then plug C into ([itex]\frac{\pi}{4C}[/itex])1/2giving ([itex]\frac{-2KT\pi}{4\kappa}[/itex])1/2.

My next step would be to evaluate:
    2*[([itex]\frac{-2KT\pi}{4\kappa}[/itex])1/2][itex]^{+infinity}_{0}[/itex]

But I no longer have my variable x to do so, am I missing something? Is my answer simply ([itex]\frac{-2KT\pi}{4\kappa}[/itex])1/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2
    Hint: exp(-Cx2) is an even function, symmetric about the y-axis.

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I did see that it was an even function, thats why I changed my limits of intergration to 0 to +infinity and multiply the answer by two. But the integral of the standard function doesnt keep X as a variable. So how do I evaluate this integral with my limits of intergration? I feel like im over looking something here.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You needn't evaluate any limit. The integral you're given already takes into account the limits at infinity and 0.

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    Ah, my mistake osker246. And yes, dextercioby is right.

7. Jun 26, 2011 #6
    So does this mean my answer is 2*([itex]\frac{-2KT\pi}{4\kappa}[/itex])1/2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook