1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the integral inside domain V, where V is bounded by the planes

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. Evaluate the integral

VxdV

inside domain V, where V is bounded by the planes x=0, y=x, z=0, and the surface x2+y2+z2=1

Answer given: 1/8 - √2/16 (which is NOT what I got.. :yuck:)
    2. The attempt at a solution

Ok, it's a triple integral, I know this.

∫dx runs from 0 to 1

∫dy runs from -√1-x2 to x

∫dz runs from 0 to √1-x2-y2

So the order of integrals go ∫∫∫dz dy dx

Yeah... it's not working. I keep getting stuck with things like x(1-y2-x2)1/2 which I can't integrate onwards... :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Cloudless! :smile:
    this is a vertically sliced wedge from θ = 45° to 90°, so it would be much easier to use spherical coordinates :wink:

of course, you can use x y z, but …

no

no

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the xy-plane, z= 0 so [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] projects to the quarter circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]. For each x, y ranges for 0 up to [itex]y= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex], NOT [itex]y= -\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] because the bounding surface is above the xy-plane.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4
    I redid it in spherical coordinates. Much easier, but still missing a pi/2. I think the conclusion is the answer key was wrong.

The question was ambiguous in its bounded area. I thought it was from negative pi/2 to pi/4.

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want us to check your answer, you'll have to show us your calculations. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook