Evaluate the line integral by two methods

In summary: Your line is along the x-axis so dy is zero for that section of the rectangle!Thanks, I think I'm getting it now. So in the next line segment (the right vertical one), dx is zero, so\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^3 {2t^2 \left( 0 \right)\, + \,2^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^3 {8\,dt} = \left[ {8t} \right]_0^3 = 24
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral by two methods: (a) directly and (b) using Green's Theorem. [tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} [/tex]. C is the rectangle with vertices (0,0), (2,0), (2,3) and (0,3).

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the correct answer using Green's theorem. But I don't know how to do the "directly" method. I came up with 4 parametric equations, one for each line of the rectangle. Let's look at the first one for the line (0,0) - (2,0): x=t, y=0, t goes between 0 and 2.

[tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^2 {t\left( 0 \right)^2 \,\, + \,t^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^2 {t^3 \,dt} = \left[ {\frac{{t^4 }}{4}} \right]_0^2 = \left( {\frac{{2^4 }}{4}} \right) - \left( {\frac{{0^4 }}{4}} \right) = \frac{{16}}{4} = 4[/tex].

I'm pretty sure I did this step wrong. How do I go from the C integral to the 2-0 integral?

Thanks

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of [tex] {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} [/tex] as the dot product of the vectors [tex](dx,dy)[/tex] and [tex](xy^2, x^3) [/tex]. On the x axis, the x component is zero, so the integral from (0,0) to (0,2) should be zero.

sorry, I still don't understand. How do I get from dx+dy to dt?

tony873004 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral by two methods: (a) directly and (b) using Green's Theorem. [tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} [/tex]. C is the rectangle with vertices (0,0), (2,0), (2,3) and (0,3).

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the correct answer using Green's theorem. But I don't know how to do the "directly" method. I came up with 4 parametric equations, one for each line of the rectangle. Let's look at the first one for the line (0,0) - (2,0): x=t, y=0, t goes between 0 and 2.

[tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^2 {t\left( 0 \right)^2 \,\, + \,t^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^2 {t^3 \,dt} = \left[ {\frac{{t^4 }}{4}} \right]_0^2 = \left( {\frac{{2^4 }}{4}} \right) - \left( {\frac{{0^4 }}{4}} \right) = \frac{{16}}{4} = 4[/tex].

I'm pretty sure I did this step wrong. How do I go from the C integral to the 2-0 integral?

Thanks

Homework Equations

Your line is along the x-axis so dy is zero for that section of the rectangle!

tony873004 said:
sorry, I still don't understand. How do I get from dx+dy to dt?
So you have paremerised the line,

[tex] x = t \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt} = 1 \Rightarrow dx = dx[/tex]

[tex]y = 0 \Rightarrow dy = 0[/tex]

Do you follow?

Thanks, I think I'm getting it now. So in the next line segment (the right vertical one), dx is zero, so

[tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^3 {2t^2 \left( 0 \right)\, + \,2^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^3 {8\,dt} = \left[ {8t} \right]_0^3 = 24[/tex]

tony873004 said:
Thanks, I think I'm getting it now. So in the next line segment (the right vertical one), dx is zero, so

[tex]\oint_C {xy^2 \,dx\, + \,x^3 \,dy} = \int\limits_0^3 {2t^2 \left( 0 \right)\, + \,2^3 \,dt} = \int\limits_0^3 {8\,dt} = \left[ {8t} \right]_0^3 = 24[/tex]
Looks good to me :approve:.

Although from a formalism point of view, I will point out that it isn't technically correct to say that your path integral is equal to the integral over this segment, but I know what you mean.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a curve or line. It takes into account the direction of the curve and the values of the function at each point along the curve.

2. What are the two methods used to evaluate a line integral?

The two methods used to evaluate a line integral are the geometric method and the analytical method. The geometric method involves visualizing the curve and breaking it into smaller segments to calculate the integral. The analytical method uses mathematical formulas and techniques to solve the integral.

3. How do you set up a line integral using the geometric method?

To set up a line integral using the geometric method, you need to divide the curve into small segments and calculate the value of the function at each point. Then, you can add up all the values to get the total line integral.

4. Can you provide an example of evaluating a line integral using the analytical method?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 and the curve C is a straight line from (1,2) to (4,5), we can use the formula ∫C f(x,y) ds = ∫a^b f(x(t),y(t)) √(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt to evaluate the line integral. We first need to parameterize the curve as x(t) = t+1 and y(t) = t+2, then plug in these values into the formula and solve to get the final result.

5. What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, electric and magnetic field lines, fluid flow in pipes, and many other physical quantities that involve integration along a curve.