• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Evaluate the triple integral for specified function

• Thread starter musicmar
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Evaluate the triple integral for specified function and box B.

f(x,y,z) = x ey-2z
0<x<2, 0<y, z>1
(The < and >'s should be less than or equal to but, I don't know how to write that here)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to evaluate iterated integrals, but I am confused by the bounds in this problem. y and z only have one bound, so I don't know how to set up the integral.

y and z only have one bound, so I don't know how to set up the integral.

Why don't they just go to infinity then? Why not just take a stab at it and say, let's integrate dzdydx and try anyway to set up reasonable limits? If z>1 then it's limits should be (1,infty}, same dif with y, (0,infty), and x goes from 0 to 2. Here goes:

[tex]\int_0^2 \int_0^{\infty}\int_1^{\infty} xe^{y-2z} dzdydx[/tex]

Now, I haven't tried to integrate that. Maybe when we do, we'll get into a tough integrand to handle. Then may want to consider a different integration order if that would make the integration easier.

f(x,y,z) = x ey-2z
0<x<2, 0<y, z>1
(The < and >'s should be less than or equal to but, I don't know how to write that here)
Use <= for less than or equal to, and >= for greater than or equal to.
2. Relevant equations

I know how to evaluate iterated integrals, but I am confused by the bounds in this problem. y and z only have one bound, so I don't know how to set up the integral.
There are implied bound for y and z.

0 <= y < infinity
1 <= z < infinity

Do you know what the region in this problem looks like?

Thank you. Is it a rectangular prism? y >= 0 is a plane bounded by x, and z would provide the height. But does this help me integrate it?

See jackmell's post.

I had to work the same problem. I have found discrepancies in the book before regarding notation, so when I couldn't solve the problem I assumed the boundary meant 0≤X≤2; 0≤y,z≤1→0≤y≤1; 0≤z≤1. Alternately, the box B=[0,2], [0,1], [0,1]. When I worked the problem with these boundaries I got the same answer as the book.
Hope it helps.
Also, you can get "less than or equal to" by underlining the "less than" symbol.

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

f(x,y,z) = x ey-2z
0<x<2, 0<y, z>1

2. Relevant equations

You can write <= and >=, or else you can click on the "Quick symbols" from the panel at the side of the input window, to get ≤ and ≥.

RGV

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving