1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate triple integral, involves e -(x 2)

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    Evaluate triple integral, involves e**-(x**2)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the triple integral of e**-(x**2 + 2y**2 + 3z**2), all of the limits are from -infinity to infinity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure how to do this problem. I know I have to change the coordinate system, but what to? I tried cylindricals, but it didn't seem right, unless I made a mistake there. Or do i have have to use spherical coordinates, which I am reading up on right now. Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Evaluate triple integral, involves e**-(x**2)

I would do it in rectangular coordinates. The integrand is of the form, f(x)g(y)h(z).

Do you know the result for [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-u^2}du\ ?[/itex]

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3

I do not, and I imagine I will need some proof for my values so I don't think it's possible in cartesian coordinates unless I know the integral you stated. Is there an easy way to show proof for that integral?

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook