Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Evaluate using Leibniz rule and/or chain rule

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    I want to evaluate
    $$ \frac{d}{dt}\int_{0}^{^{\eta(t)}}\rho(p,t)dz $$

where p itself is $$ p=p(z,t) $$

I have the feeling I have to use Leibniz rule and/or chain rule, but I'm not sure how...

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

So ##\rho(p,t)=\rho(p(z,t),t)=\varphi(z,t)##, and if ##\phi_z(z,t)## is the anti-derivative of ##\varphi(z,t)## with respect to the first coordinate, your are actually looking for ##\frac{d}{dt} \left( \phi_z(\eta(t),t) - \phi_z(0,t) \right)##.
    Don't know whether this helps.

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The chain rule lets us differentiate each instance of the variable separately.
    $$\dfrac{d}{dt}\int_{0}^{^{\eta(t)}}\rho(p(z,t),t)dz=\left.\left(\dfrac{\partial}{\partial u}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial v}+\dfrac{\partial}{\partial w}\right)\int_{0}^{^{\eta(u)}}\rho(p(z,v),w)dz\right|_{u,v,w=t}$$
    So replace each t by a dummy variable differentiate with respect to each and add them up, then replace each with t again.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  5. Dec 8, 2016 #4
    Thanks fresh_24 and lurflurf for your quick and helfpul answers! Have a nice day.

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5

lavinia

Science Advisor

$$ F(t) = \int_{0}^{^{t}}\rho(p,t)dz $$ is a function of ##t##.

Your function is ##F(η(t))##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted