1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a triple integral Spherical

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    z(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(-3/2) where x^2+y^2+z^2 ≤ 4 and z ≥ 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    So spherically this comes down to cos∅sin∅dpdθd∅
    p goes from 0 to 2, theta goes from 0 to 2pi, but I don't know how to figure out what ∅ goes from? i'm trying use trig identities but i'm getting the wrong answer, so maybe this don't work since the sphere is curved?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your limits for ##\rho## aren't correct. For example, consider the part of the z-axis which is inside the solid. It's only the part where 1 ≤ z ≤ 2. This would be inconsistent with ##\rho \le 1##, yet your lower limit for ##\rho## is 0.

In this case, you have cylindrical symmetry, so try drawing a cross section of the surface through, say, the xz plane. You should be able to see pretty easily the limits of ##\phi##, and you'll have to figure out the limits of ##\rho## as a function of ##\phi##.

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Given the bounds, it might be easier to handle in cylindrical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted