1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaporation differential problem

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ltQxz.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Given in problem

3. The attempt at a solution
    3uXPE.jpg

Hey guys

So I have this problem I'm working on and I just can't seem to get too far with it. I've gotten half of the first part...I'm just having trouble integrating the equation I got...and I don't even know if the equation I got is right in the first place!

I set:

Rin = pi
    Rout = pi(20h-h^2)

dh/dt = Rin - Rout

I'm trying to solve the DE right now but don't know how to proceed...

Any help would be great,
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    Anyone? Sorry for bumping this so early!

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    I looked at it and it looks very messy to include the evaporation term. But maybe I'm missing something. So instead, I worked an analogous problem by filling an inverted right triangle (like the cross-section of a trough made with two pieces of wood) with area in the same way: We can fill the area at a rate of [itex]k[/itex] and let the evaporation rate be proportional to the length of the base (on top of it) with proportionality constant [itex]c[/itex]. So, I would write the change in area as:

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}=f(A,t)=k-cL[/tex]

but I can get the length of the base as a function of A. For a right triangle, that's [itex]L(A)=\sqrt{4 A}[/itex] so then we have including evaporation:

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}=k-c\sqrt{4A}[/tex]

Integrating:

[tex]\int_0^A \frac{dy}{k-c\sqrt{4y}}=\int_0^t dt[/tex]

And even that simple case is still very messy and the function A(t) is in terms of a Lambert function.

Now, if you used the same principle, in your case, expressing area of the pond surface as a function of volume beneath it, the DE I think would be:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=\pi-0.01 A(V)[/tex]

but the function A(V) looks way too messy to do it symbolically.

Maybe someone else can help.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. Oct 16, 2012 #4
    Thanks I greatly appreciated your time and effort.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    How about we try this:
    We know from part (a) that [itex]A(h)=\pi(20 h-h^2)[/itex] and:

We can write:

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dV} \frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

and first without evaporation we have:

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dh}{dV} \frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{1}{2\pi Rh-\pi h^2} \pi[/tex]

we can integrate that:

[tex]\int_0^h (2Rh-h^2)dh=\int_0^t dt[/tex]
    and get:

[tex]Rh^2-1/3h^3=t[/tex]
    and use that to figure out how long it takes to fill without evaporation.

Now with evaporation, we have:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=\pi-kA(h)[/tex]

so substituting, we obtain:

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{1}{2\pi Rh-\pi h^2}\left[\pi -k(20\pi h-\pi h^2)\right][/tex]

Now the question is, can we integrate that and is it correct? Gotta' try things in math you know, and learn to tolerate making wrong turns. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook