Ever wonder what professors do in faculty meetings?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, the conversation discusses professors' behavior during faculty meetings and shares a humorous anecdote about a senior faculty member reading a magazine during a meeting. The discussion also mentions the topic of reaccreditation and the use of assessment jargon in orientation meetings.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Professors Goofing Off in Faculty Meetings? Bingo! (Chronicle of Higher Education)

11bingo_1.jpg

(No, this is not my bingo card!)

Likes Giant
Physics news on Phys.org
I scribble physics equations while I appear to be taking notes :wink: When someone catches me doing it and chastises me, I just laugh like that female news reporter on Futurama does whenever Morbo says anything.

Too bad that card doesn't have "reaccreditation" on it. That's our big topic for this year. We've been having orientation meetings about it this week, full of assessment jargon. I should try to design a bingo card just for that stuff!

Years ago, before most of you were born, I was a beginning Assistant Prof. At my first faculty meeting, I sat well to the back of the room and kept my head down. The department chair was named Bill, and one of the other senior faculty was also Bill. Bill the faculty member had his copy of Newsweek delivered to his departmental mail box, and every week, just before the faculty meeting he would go by to pick it up to read in the meeting. Bill the faculty member was a rather arrogant fellow, and he would sit in the front row, right under the nose of the chair, reading Newsweek.

At my first meeting, we were well into to the agenda, the chair was rattling on about something, when he paused to say, "Bill, will you put that %X$$!* magazine down. We are talking about important matters here." At that point, Bill the senior faculty member looked up calmly and said, "Bill, when you say something important, I'll pay attention." He then returned to his reading and the room roared! (True story from 1968.)

1. What is the purpose of faculty meetings?

Faculty meetings serve as a forum for professors to discuss and make decisions on matters related to the university, including curriculum changes, faculty hiring and promotions, and budget allocations.

2. How often do faculty meetings occur?

The frequency of faculty meetings varies depending on the university, but they typically occur once a month during the academic year.

3. Who attends faculty meetings?

Faculty meetings are typically attended by all professors and sometimes other members of the university administration, such as the department chair or dean.

4. Can students attend faculty meetings?

No, faculty meetings are closed to students. However, students can voice their concerns or suggestions through their professors or student representatives who may attend the meetings.

5. How are decisions made in faculty meetings?

Decisions in faculty meetings are typically made through a majority vote. However, some universities may have different decision-making processes in place, such as reaching a consensus or following a hierarchical structure.