Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact Differential Equation and Green's theorem

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    We can use Green's theorem to understand why the Exact Differential Equation satisfy the conditions it should have .....

How about a DE for more than two variables ?

Eg.dF=P(x,y,z,w)dx+Q(x,y,z,w)dy+R(x,y,z,w)dz+S(x,y,z,w)dw

IF the equation above is an Exact Differential Equation , what condition it would satisfy ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

An equation of the form f(x,y,z)dx+ g(x,y,z)dy+ h(x,y,z)dz= 0 is "exact" if and only if there exist some F(x,y,z) such that
    [tex]dF= \frac{\partial F}{\p
    artial x}dx+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}= f(x,y,z)dx+ g(x,y,z)dy+ h(x,y,z)dz[/tex]

That means that we must have
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= f(x,y,z)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= g(x,y,z)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}= h(x,y,z)[/tex]

So, as long as those functions are continuous, we must have the "mixed partials" equal:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x\partial y}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex]
    etc.

Since you mention "Green's theorem" (for two variables) you might want to look at [itex]\nabla\times f(x,y,z)\vec{i}+ g(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ h(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/itex] and Stoke's theorem.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Dec 5, 2009 #3
    What u mentioned contains three variables ~and I've seen such a case in the book I read...

Suppose [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=P(x,y,z)[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+Q(x,y,z)[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]+R(x,y,z)[tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

dT=P(x,y,z)dx+Q(x,y,z)dy+R(x,y,z)dz is exact if only if [tex]\vec{F}[/tex][tex]\bullet[/tex]([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex])=0

I'm now requesting for the case which contains more than three variables~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook