1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exam review, How did he find the size of AxA?

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone, another review question i'm lost on,

He has the following question
    A binary relation on a set S is defined to be any subset of the Cartesian product S x S. (We will study binary rleations later in the course.) If S is a set of size 3, how many binary relations are there on the set S?

We never went over what a binary relation is, so we must not need it for this question.

But if the size of S = 3, then size of SxS = 9 right?

And if he told us a binary relation on a set S is deifned to be any subset of SxS then he must mean take the power set of (SxS). I know the size of a power set is defined as 2^n, where n is the number of elements. So I would get

2^9 = 512 which is the correct answer.
    ( I just got this while typing the question out)

But now this brings up another question...

Let A = {2, 3, 5} and B = {3,4,5,6}
    If A has 3 elements and B has 4, is there a fast way to figure out the size of AXA or do you have to write out and just count the elements? the answer is 9. So could i have just said well there are 3 elements in A, so 3x3 = 9. Or if i had AXB would that just be 3x4 = 12 elements
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well it's the very essence of multiplication. In the probability book my class uses this is called the "fundamental principle of counting". If there are n ways to pick an element from A and for each of them, there are m ways to pick an element from B, then there are nxm ways to form a pair of 1 element from A and one element from B.
  4. Oct 13, 2006 #3
    ahh thanks for the info!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?