Preparing for Ireland's A-Levels & SAT Equivalents: Tips & Sample Papers

In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming exams in Ireland, which are equivalent to SAT and A-Levels. The participants offer advice on how to prepare mentally for these exams, including getting enough rest and eating well. Sample papers for subjects such as Math, Physics, and Applied Math are shared. There is also a discussion on the difficulty level of these exams compared to other systems, with some participants expressing dissatisfaction with the depth of Higher Level Maths and Physics. The conversation ends with well wishes for the exams.
Maybe_Memorie
Exams which are the Irish equivalent of SAT and A-Levels are starting next week. The samples below illustrate the differences.
Does anyone have any advice how you should prepare mentally for these exams? Like how should you get yourself into the correct frame of mind?

Here are sample papers:
Math: Paper 1: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2008/LC003ALP100EV.pdf
Paper 2: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2008/LC003ALP200EV.pdf
Physics: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2009/LC021ALP000EV.pdf
Applied Math: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2009/LC020ALP000EV.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I could give is to get a good night's rest before each test, it's critical. Eat well and get some exercise each day. I always found that eating a high protein meal helped me sit still longer than eating sweets, but maybe that's just me.

But really, sleep is the big one.

Best of luck to you, I hope you do well :smile:!

Thank you. :smile:

Out of curiousity, from looking at the above sample papers, how does the standard of the exams compare to the same subjects from other compares?

Fellow Irish person here, doing the Leaving next year,, I've heard that it's relatively easy (per subject) compared to other systems, however I think the sheer number of subjects balances it up.. But I'm unsatisfied with the depth of Higher Level Maths and Physics to be honest..Edit. Oh and good luck on Wednesday and the rest of them.

Very true. The depth of Higher Maths and Physics isn't much, and it's only going to get worse with the introduction of Project Maths.
Applied Maths is the only thing that keeps me sane.

Thank you! :smile:

1. What are A-Levels and SAT equivalents in Ireland?

A-Levels are a set of exams taken by students in Ireland as part of their secondary education. These exams cover a range of subjects and are used to determine a student's readiness for university. SATs, on the other hand, are standardized tests used for college admissions in the United States. In Ireland, SATs are not commonly used, but some universities may accept them as equivalent to A-Level scores.

2. How can I prepare for Ireland's A-Levels and SAT equivalents?

To prepare for A-Levels, it is important to familiarize yourself with the exam format and content for each subject. You can do this by studying past papers and using study guides and textbooks. For SATs, it is recommended to take practice tests and review the content covered in the exam. Additionally, seeking guidance from teachers or tutors can also be helpful in preparing for these exams.

3. Are there any tips for doing well on Ireland's A-Levels and SAT equivalents?

Some tips for doing well on these exams include starting your preparation early, practicing time management, and focusing on areas where you may need improvement. It is also important to stay organized and create a study schedule to ensure you cover all the necessary material. Additionally, don't forget to take breaks and get enough rest to avoid burnout.

4. Can I find sample papers for Ireland's A-Levels and SAT equivalents?

Yes, there are various resources available online and in bookstores that offer sample papers for A-Levels and SATs. You can also check with your school or local library for past papers and study guides. It is important to use official sample papers from reputable sources to ensure accuracy and relevance to the actual exams.

5. How important are A-Levels and SAT equivalents for university admissions in Ireland?

A-Levels are the main factor considered by universities in Ireland for admissions. However, some universities may also accept SAT scores as an alternative. It is important to research the specific requirements of the universities you are interested in to determine the importance of these exams for your application. Additionally, universities may also consider other factors such as extracurricular activities, personal statements, and letters of recommendation.