Examine the continuity of this absolute value function

In summary, for the function y = (1-|x|)/|1-x|, the correct solution is y = (1+x)/(1-x) for x < 0. This is because when x < 0, -x > 0, so 1-x > 0, and the absolute value of a positive number is the number itself. Therefore, the denominator should be written as (1-x) instead of -(1-x).
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

y = 1-abs(x) / abs(1-x)

The Attempt at a Solution

For x < 0, abs(x) = -x

y = (1+x) / -(1-x)
= -(1+x)/(1-x)

I stopped here because this is the part I got wrong. For x < 0, my solutions manual got (1+x) / (1-x).
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

y = 1-abs(x) / abs(1-x)

For x < 0, abs(x) = -x

y = (1+x) / -(1-x)
= -(1+x)/(1-x)

I stopped here because this is the part I got wrong. For x < 0, my solutions manual got (1+x) / (1-x).
What did I do wrong?

For ##x<0##, ##-x>0## so ##1-x>0## so ##|1-x|=1-x##. No minus sign needed in the denominator.

needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

y = 1-abs(x) / abs(1-x)

For x < 0, abs(x) = -x

y = (1+x) / -(1-x)
= -(1+x)/(1-x)

What did I do wrong?

For your written function
[tex] y = 1 - \frac{|x|}{|1-x|} [/tex]
you have ##y = 1 + x/(1-x) = 1/(1-x) ## for ##x < 0##.

On the other hand, if you really meant something different from what you wrote, namely,
[tex] y = \frac{1-|x|}{|1-x|} [/tex]
then you would have ##y = (1+x)/(1-x) ## for ##x < 0##. Which function do you mean? Us parentheses for clarity, like this: y = (1-|x|)/|1-x|, or y = (1-abs(x))/ abs(1-x) if your keyboard does not have an "|" key.

It was the second one: y = (1-|x|)/|1-x|. So how did you get y=(1+x)/(1−x) for x<0?

needingtoknow said:
It was the second one: y = (1-|x|)/|1-x|. So how did you get y=(1+x)/(1−x) for x<0?

Didn't you read post #2?

Sorry I should have addressed your reply as well. So LCKurtz let me start off by saying what I understand from your reply.

"For x<0, −x>0 so 1−x>0 so |1−x|=1−x. No minus sign needed in the denominator."

Since -x > 0 can be written as x < 0, therefore -(1-x) > 0 can also be written as 1-x < 0. If this is true then can't this apply to any time we need to consider the negative case for an absolute value function. For the numerator, why can't this same logic apply?

needingtoknow said:
Sorry I should have addressed your reply as well. So LCKurtz let me start off by saying what I understand from your reply.

Since -x > 0 can be written as x < 0, therefore -(1-x) > 0 can also be written as 1-x < 0. If this is true then can't this apply to any time we need to consider the negative case for an absolute value function. For the numerator, why can't this same logic apply?

Have you forgotten that -(-x) = x and that for x < 0 we have |x| = -x?

LCKurtz said:
For ##x<0##, ##-x>0## so ##1-x>0## so ##|1-x|=1-x##. No minus sign needed in the denominator.

needingtoknow said:

I can't make any sense out of that reply. Why don't you just follow the steps I gave you? You start with ##x<0##. Multiply both sides by ##-1## so ##-x>0##. Since ##-x## is positive, adding ##1## to it is still positive, so ##1-x > 0##. The absolute value of a positive number is the number itself so ##|1-x| = 1-x##. You don't get ##-(1-x)##.

My mind must have been somewhere else when I was reading your first reply. It makes crystal clear sense. Thank you for your time.

1. What is an absolute value function?

An absolute value function is a mathematical function that returns the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It is represented by the symbol |x|, where x is the input value.

2. How do you graph an absolute value function?

To graph an absolute value function, plot points on a coordinate plane by substituting different values for x in the function and solving for y. Then connect the points with a V-shaped curve, with the point of the V at the vertex of the function.

3. What does it mean for an absolute value function to be continuous?

A continuous absolute value function has no breaks or gaps in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper and the graph has a smooth, connected line.

4. How can you determine the continuity of an absolute value function?

An absolute value function is continuous if the left-hand limit and right-hand limit at every point on the graph are equal. This means that the value of the function at that point is the same from both the left and right sides of the graph.

5. What are some real-world applications of absolute value functions?

Absolute value functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model situations where distance is the most important factor, such as projectile motion or electrical currents. They can also be used in economics to model profit and loss, and in statistics to measure deviations from a mean value.