Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examples for seperation axioms.

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    My assignment is like this:
    1.give an example of a space X and a subspace A of X s.t X satisifes Sep and A doesnt.
    2.give an example of a continuous and onto function f:X->Y s.t X satisifies S1 but Y doesnt.
    3.give an example of a continuous and onto function f:X->Y s.t X satisfies S2 and Y doesnt.

my answers are as follows:
    1. X=R A=R-Q, is it a good example?
    2.X=N, Y=N-{0}U{sqrt2} and f:X->Y f(x)=x if x in N-{0} and f(x)=sqrt2 if x=0, i think we can't find a countable set of bases for Y, not sure though.
    3. didn't do it so far, any hints?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, what do you mean by "separation"? I would consider all of the "Tychonoff" properties to be "separation" properties: T0: each singleton set is closed; T1: given any two points, there exist a set that contains one of them but not the other; T2 (Hausdorf): Given any two points there exist two disjoint open set such that one contains one point and the other set contains the other point.
  4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    Sep says there's a countable dense set.
    S1 says there's a countable basis at a point.
    S2 says there's a countable basis for the topology.

those should be the countability axioms, sorry for misleading.
  5. Feb 16, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"1." isn't good. The irrationals are actually a separable subspace of R (in the usual topology). In fact, if X is a separable metric space, then any subspace of X is separable as well. So your example is going to have to come from a non-metrizable topology.

For 2, what topology are you giving Y?

For 3, I would think about using X=Y, but giving it two topologies, one finer than the other. Then maybe using f=identity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?