Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examples of resonance of sound in tubes

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
    Hello :)
    We did a lab in class and the lab was about resonance of air columns. We used a tube and filled it with water. Then we held a tuning fork above the tube to see at which points the resonance occurs. If a vibrating fork is held over the open end of the column, the loudness of the sound will increase very sharply at specific lengths of the tube. Now the problem is I have to come up with a real-life application of resonace of sound in tubes, and I can't seem to think of an example. Help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2008 #2
    You can't think of any example of applications of resonance in tubes? Just about any musical instrument that consists of mainly a tube (flute, trumpet, marimba (if it has these tubes hanging underneath) etc..) uses exactly this principle.
    Also I believe amplifiers (for example a guitar amplifier) use tubes like this.

4. Jul 19, 2008 #3
    Thanks

5. Jul 19, 2008 #4
    The organ is a classic example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?