Examples which satistfy f(x+y)=f(x) + f(y)

• Thread starter HappyN
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for two examples of a function f:R->R such that f is continuous and satisfies f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for every x,y in R, and the answer is that there is only one such example, which is ax.
HappyN
The question states:
Give two different examples of f:R->R such that f is continuous and satisfies f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for every x,y e R. Find all continuous functions f:R->R having this property. Justify your answer with a proof.

I came up with one example:
f(x)=ax
then f(x+y)=a(x+y)=ax+ay=f(x)+f(y)

however, I can't seem to think of another example, any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
ax is the only answer, so maybe that makes it count double.

Your example is "general". Get two functions by taking a to be two different values! As lurflurf says, any continuous function satisfying f(x+ y)= f(x)+ f(y) must be of the form f(x)= ax so different example just have different values of a.

To prove that is straightforward but tedius. Here's an outline of how I would do it.

1) Prove, by induction, that f(nx)= nf(x) for all real numbers, x, and n any positive integer.

2) Use f((0+ n)x)= f(0x)+ f(nx) to show that f(0x)= 0= 0f(x).

3) Use f((n+(-n))x)= f(0)= 0 to show that f(-nx)= -f(nx) and so -nf(x) for any positive integer n.

3) Use f(nx)= nf(x) to show that f(n(1/n)y)= nf((1/n)y)= f(y) so f((1/n)y)= (1/n)f(y).

4) Use f(nx)= nf(x) to show that f((m/n)y)= mf((1/n)y)= (m/n)f(y) for any rational number m/n and any real number y.

5) Use continuity to show that f(rx)= rf(x) for any real numbers r and x and, taking x= 1, that f(r)= rf(1)= ar where a= f(1). (If r is any real number, there exist a sequence of rational numbers, [itex]\{r_n\}[/itex], converging to r. By continuity, [itex]f(rx)= f((\lim r_n)x)= \lim f(r_nx)= (\lim r_n) f(x)[/itex].)

That means, of course, that the graph of a continuous function satisfying f(x+y)= f(x)+ f(y) is a straight line through the origin. There do, however, exist non-continuous functions satisfying that equation- and the graph of such a function is dense in the plane!

• Informative
Likes Erasthemno
HallsofIvy said:
That means, of course, that the graph of a continuous function satisfying f(x+y)= f(x)+ f(y) is a straight line through the origin. There do, however, exist non-continuous functions satisfying that equation- and the graph of such a function is dense in the plane!

Only if you accept the axiom of choice! :biggrin:

HappyN said:
The question states:
Give two different examples of f:R->R such that f is continuous and satisfies f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for every x,y e R. Find all continuous functions f:R->R having this property. Justify your answer with a proof.

I came up with one example:
f(x)=ax
then f(x+y)=a(x+y)=ax+ay=f(x)+f(y)

however, I can't seem to think of another example, any hints?

try doing it by taking a Newton quotient.

f(x+h) -f(x)/h = f(h)/h so the Newton quotient is constant for all x.

So there is a derivative and it must be constant. Since f(0) = 2f(0) the function must be ax for some a.

lavinia said:
try doing it by taking a Newton quotient.

f(x+h) -f(x)/h = f(h)/h so the Newton quotient is constant for all x.

So there is a derivative and it must be constant. Since f(0) = 2f(0) the function must be ax for some a.
HOW do you assert "so there is a derivative"? There is a derivative if and only if [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} f(h)/h[/itex] exists but how do you show that?

HallsofIvy said:
HOW do you assert "so there is a derivative"? There is a derivative if and only if [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} f(h)/h[/itex] exists but how do you show that?

i wasn't asserting anything - just suggesting a line of argument.

I guess at some point you have to use continuity. look at expressions like f(h/n)/h/n = f(h)/h so the ratio is constant for rationals. Then use continuity.
The thing is that without continuity the assertion is false.

Last edited:
Thanks HallsofIvy, I managed to make it work from your outline :)
Wasn't sure about the Newton quotient though...

1. What does the equation f(x+y)=f(x) + f(y) mean?

This equation represents the property of additivity, where the output of a function when two inputs are added together is equal to the sum of the individual outputs when each input is separately applied to the function.

2. Can you give an example of a function that satisfies f(x+y)=f(x) + f(y)?

One example is the function f(x) = x, where f(x+y) = x+y and f(x) + f(y) = x + y, thus satisfying the equation.

3. Are there any other functions that satisfy this equation besides f(x) = x?

Yes, there are many other functions that satisfy this equation, such as f(x) = 2x, f(x) = x2, or even more complex functions like f(x) = sin(x) + cos(x).

4. How does this property impact mathematical operations involving functions?

This property allows for simpler manipulation of functions, as it allows us to break down complex expressions into simpler components. It also helps in solving functional equations and proving theorems related to functions.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this property?

Yes, this property is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science to model and solve problems involving multiple variables. For example, in physics, this property is used to study the behavior of systems with multiple interacting particles.