Excel's solver like tool for Linux

• Thread starter The-herod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, there are several options for using a tool similar to Excel's Solver on Linux. These include using add-ons for OpenOffice or Gnumeric, using KDE's office suite, or running Excel through Wine. However, the conversation also mentions that it is possible to program a solver for each task using Maxima. Overall, the speaker is looking for an easier and faster solution for solving complex problems, such as Hohmann transfers. They are grateful for the suggestions provided.
The-herod
Hello,

Does anyone know about a tool like the Solver of Excel for linux?

Of course it's possible to program one for each task with Maxima, though, it's pretty comfortable to use a generic existing tool like the Solver...

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If we stick to similar tools as excel's solver openoffice has some solver add-ons which work with nonlinear eqs and it has a sort of a goal seek feature by default. Gnumeric being very similar to these 2 has a built in solver. KDE's office suite probably has something similar (? gnome man myself). And can install office using wine if want to "contaminate" your linux.

Thanks. I rather to stick to a similar tool, but it's not necessary. Everything that will be easier (and faster) then programming it for a specific problem each time in Maxima.

Actually I tried OOo and gnumeric. Maybe I didn't operate it very well (though it's hard for me to believe it can be too much complicated), but it didn't succeed to solve even basic problems (like abs(exp(x)-1)), while I need it for more complicated problems (like Hohmann transfers).

Anyhow, thanks a lot!

In Oo you can play around with different solvers via extensions, like http://kohei.us/ooo/solver/ got running on mine now (got a non-distro version of Oo 2.4 so that doesn't mess my install since it doesn't have a solver installed by default), one cool thing about Oo.

Nice! I didn't know about the solver plug-ins.
I'll check it tomorrow (I have to install OO, my copy is from the distribution repositories...)
Thanks!:)

1. How does Excel's solver tool for Linux work?

Excel's solver tool for Linux works by using mathematical algorithms to find the optimal solution to a given problem. It takes into account the constraints and variables provided by the user and iteratively calculates the best possible solution.

2. Can Excel's solver tool for Linux handle large datasets?

Yes, Excel's solver tool for Linux has the ability to handle large datasets. It can handle up to 1 million rows and 16,000 columns of data, making it suitable for complex problems.

3. Is Excel's solver tool for Linux easy to use?

Excel's solver tool for Linux is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It has a simple interface and provides step-by-step instructions for setting up and solving a problem. However, some basic knowledge of mathematical optimization techniques may be required to fully utilize its capabilities.

4. Can Excel's solver tool for Linux solve all types of problems?

Excel's solver tool for Linux is designed to solve a wide range of problems, including linear programming, nonlinear optimization, and integer programming. However, it may not be suitable for certain types of problems such as dynamic or stochastic optimization.

5. Is Excel's solver tool for Linux compatible with other programs?

Yes, Excel's solver tool for Linux is compatible with other programs. It can be integrated with other software applications, such as databases or programming languages, to create custom solutions for specific problems.