Exceptation of energy by Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about writing the Hamiltonian of a harmonic oscillator and calculating its expectation value of energy using a given function. The speaker mentions trying an integral but is unsure if it is the correct approach and asks for help. They also suggest considering a change of variables.
axcelenator
Hello,

The question says that we can write the Hamiltonian of the harmonic oscilator like this:
H=0.5*[P^2/m + (4*h^2*x^2)/(m*σ^4)] where h is h-bar

I need to calculate the expectation value of energy of the oscilator with the next function: ψ(x)=A*exp{-[(x-bi)^2]/σ^2}.

I tried to the the integral: ∫ψ*Hψdx where H is the operator of p and x but I got a big integral and I don't think its the write way because the finite answer is pretty simple:
Answer: (h^2/m)*(1/σ^2 + (2*b^2)/σ^4) where h is h-bar

How can I solve it?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure there is a simpler way. Could you show us some of your work?

Also, you could consider a clever change of variables in the integrals (recall that you need to determine the constant A as well).

1. What is the Hamiltonian in terms of energy?

The Hamiltonian is an operator in quantum mechanics that represents the total energy of a system. It is a sum of the kinetic and potential energy of the system, and is often denoted by the symbol H.

2. How is energy expectation calculated using the Hamiltonian?

To calculate the expectation of energy using the Hamiltonian, the Hamiltonian operator is applied to the wave function of the system. This results in a scalar value, which represents the average energy of the system over time.

3. What does the expectation of energy tell us about a system?

The expectation of energy tells us the average energy of a system over time. It gives us an idea of the most likely energy value that will be measured for the system in a given state.

4. How does the Hamiltonian relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Hamiltonian is an important component of the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. The Hamiltonian is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state, which is described by the Schrödinger equation.

5. Can the Hamiltonian be used to determine the energy levels of a system?

Yes, the Hamiltonian can be used to determine the energy levels of a system. By solving the Schrödinger equation with the Hamiltonian operator, one can obtain the possible energy values that a system can have. These energy levels are often represented as discrete energy levels or as a continuous energy spectrum.