Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excess Gibbs Energy models

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These are some empirical excess Gibbs energy models used to calculate activity coefficients for non-ideal liquid mixtures. I didn't find many on the web, so I thought I'll put them here for future reference

All [itex]x_i[/itex] refer to the mole fraction of the ith species in the solution.
    To calculate the activity coefficient [itex]\gamma_i[/itex] from the excess free energy, we have
    [tex]ln \gamma_i=\left(\frac{\partial\left(nG^{E}/RT\right)}{\partial n_i} \right)_{P,T,n_j}[/tex]

Most of these are for binary solutions, but some can be extended into multi-component systems.

1) Van Laar equation

[tex]\frac{G^{E}}{RT} = \frac{ABx_1x_2}{Ax_1+B_x_2}[/tex]

So that,

[tex] ln \gamma_1 = A\left(1+\frac{Ax_1}{Bx_2}\right)^{-2} [/tex]

[tex] ln \gamma_2 = B\left(1+\frac{Bx_2}{Ax_1}\right)^{-2} [/tex]

2) Porters equation

[tex]\frac{G^{E}}{RT}=Ax_1x_2[/tex]

So that,

[tex]ln \gamma_1 = Ax_2^2[/tex]

[tex]ln \gamma_2= Ax_1^2[/tex]

3) Margules equation

[tex]\frac{G^{E}}{RT}=x_1x_2\left(Ax_1+Bx_2\right)[/tex]

So that,

[tex] ln \gamma_1 = x_2^2\left(A+2\left(B-A\right)x_1\right)[/tex]

[tex]ln \gamma_2 = x_1^2\left(B+2\left(A-B\right)x_2\right)[/tex]

4) Wilsons equation (*local composition model*)

[tex]\frac{G^{E}}{RT}=-x_1ln \left(x_1+A'x_2\right) - x_2ln \left(x_2 + B'x_1\right) [/tex]

So that,

[tex] ln \gamma_1=-ln(x1+A'x_2) + x2 \left(\frac{A'}{x_1+A'x_2} - \frac{B'}{x_2+B'x_1}\right)[/tex]

[tex]ln \gamma_2 = -ln(x2+B'x_1) - x1 \left(\frac{A'}{x_1+A'x_2} - \frac{B'}{x_2+B'x_1}\right)[/tex]

I'll add the NRTL equation and maybe the UNIQUAC model later. Feel free to correct me if you spot any errors.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted