Exchange particles in two reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to Feynman diagrams and the exchange particles involved in certain interactions. The first question is about an electron-positron annihilation, where the virtual electron is identified as the exchanged particle in the Feynman diagram. The second question is about a proton decaying to a neutron through the collision of a mu-neutrino and the emission of a muon. It is determined that the exchange particle in this case must be a W- boson due to the change in charge. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
astenroo

Homework Statement

Hi all!

I was wondering in two Feynman diagrams (1 and 2)
1) in an electron positron annihilation two photons are created. Now, is the virtual electron the exchanged particle? I'm having problems understanding the diagrams.

2) A proton decays to a neutron as a mu-neutrino collide and a muon (u-) is emitted. As far as I know the exchange particle should be a Boson, but still I'm clueless as it comes to which. I'm ruling out the Z boson, and guessing it should be the W-.

Homework Equations

1. e+ + e- -> y (photons) exchange particle?

2. v(u) + n -> p + u-
Here a down quark decays to an up quark and the exchange particle should be the W- boson. Am I on the right track here at all?

The Attempt at a Solution

Some help would be much appreciated.

-Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alex! :smile:
astenroo said:
1) in an electron positron annihilation two photons are created. Now, is the virtual electron the exchanged particle? I'm having problems understanding the diagrams.

the lowest-order feynman diagram (there are infinitely many higher order ones, of course) is the "H" diagram, with an electron and positron at the bottom, a line across the middle, and two photons at the top

yes, that line is a virtual electron (or positron, same thing) … that gives each vertex an electron in, an electron out (or positron in), and a photon :wink:
2) A proton decays to a neutron as a mu-neutrino collide and a muon (u-) is emitted. As far as I know the exchange particle should be a Boson, but still I'm clueless as it comes to which. I'm ruling out the Z boson, and guessing it should be the W-.

let's see …

yes, µ doesn't feel the strong interaction, so it has to be a Z or a W

and there's a change in charge, so it can't be a Z or W0 :smile:

Then to "conserve" charge it should be the W- boson :)

yup! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
yup! :biggrin:

Thank you for the help :biggrin:

1. What are exchange particles?

Exchange particles are particles that are exchanged between two interacting particles during a reaction, such as the exchange of photons between two electrons during electromagnetic interactions.

2. How do exchange particles affect reactions?

Exchange particles play a crucial role in mediating interactions between particles. They transfer energy, momentum, and other properties between particles, ultimately determining the outcome of the reaction.

3. What types of exchange particles are there?

There are various types of exchange particles, depending on the type of interaction. For example, photons are the exchange particles for electromagnetic interactions, while gluons are the exchange particles for strong nuclear interactions.

4. Can exchange particles be observed?

Exchange particles cannot be observed directly because they are virtual particles, meaning they exist only during the interaction between particles. However, their effects can be observed through the outcome of the reaction.

5. How do exchange particles relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics includes exchange particles as one of its fundamental components. It explains the interactions between particles through the exchange of these particles and has been successful in predicting and explaining a wide range of phenomena in the world of particle physics.