Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki

• Thread starter Maiki2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercises
In summary, the individual is seeking online resources or books for math exercises to improve their skills for the second and third semester of their physics studies. They specifically mention wanting exercises in topics such as differentiation, integration, vectors, and basic geometry. They also mention wanting proof exercises and provide examples of topics covered in their previous semester, such as functions of two or more variables and Cauchy's Integral Formula. They also mention wanting to improve their skills in matrix operations, specifically determinants and eigenvalue problems. Recommendations for resources include a website with math exercises and the textbook "Thomas&Finny for calculus."
Maiki2
Hey everybody,

i am studying physics and i have just managed the first semester. I want to train my math skills a little bit now. Therefore i would like to have some exercises (with solutions) in math for the second and third semester. I would like to have some online stuff (but good books are ok, too).
Is there anybody who can help me?

greetz Maiki

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you want math problems, go on the math section or go to another place on the web.

However, if you are beginning classic mechanics, you don't need to know THAT much math all you need is:

Basic equation solving skills

Vectors and scalars(including dot and cross product and addition/subtraction)

Basic geometry

Basics of differentiation( at least know that d/dx x^n=(n)x^(n-1))

Differentiation of vector functions(if r(t)=x(t)i+y(t)j then r'(t)=x'(t)i+y'(t)j )

Integration concepts

What calculus courses have you taken, are taking, or are going to take? This is where you need to hone your math skills. If you are going into physics, becoming a master in calculus is a great start.

A quick search on Google found these http://www.math.utep.edu/Faculty/mabry/web/1411.htm" book will get you going.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have our own math lecture with a lot of stuff from real mathmatic-study. In the next semester we will start with determinants and later we will do functionstheroy with to variables and that kind of stuff and the most time we do proofs.
Therefore I need little bit more mathmatical exercises.
Actually just like real mathematician but not all topics.

Pinu7 said:
If you want math problems, go on the math section or go to another place on the web.

However, if you are beginning classic mechanics, you don't need to know THAT much math all you need is:

Basic equation solving skills

Vectors and scalars(including dot and cross product and addition/subtraction)

Basic geometry

Basics of differentiation( at least know that d/dx x^n=(n)x^(n-1))

Differentiation of vector functions(if r(t)=x(t)i+y(t)j then r'(t)=x'(t)i+y'(t)j )

Integration concepts

While you might be able to slide by with just these, based on my own experiences I'd suggest to study as much of the relevant math as possible before starting a physics class.
In my 2nd semester physics course I'm taking, the corequisite is Calculus II, but we quite often use concepts such as the gradient, differential equations (2nd order for SHM), basic PDE for fluid mechanics, triple and double integrals, etc. Even though we only really brushed on these techniques and use them in a limited scope, its MUCH better imo to be familiar with the mathematical techniques before having to apply them to physics problems. There's nothing worse than working on a physics problem for which you are both foggy on the physics AND the math behind it!

What courses do you want these problems to cover? What courses have you already taken? What kinds of problems do you want (straightforward or tricky? Computations or proofs?)

I would rather like proof exercises because in the 1. semester we had to do a lot of proofs for our exam.

Maiki2 said:
I would rather like proof exercises because in the 1. semester we had to do a lot of proofs for our exam.

I'm not for sure what you're trying to get at. If you want specific answers or exercises you must be specific. We don't know what you took in your first semester, nor what proofs you were required to do. What exactly have you covered in your courses that you want more practice on?

One big topic is 1. Functions of Two or More Variables
a next one is 2. Cauchy's Integral Formula
and last one is 3. Matrix stuff like determinants and eigenvalue problems

Please refer Pearson education's book Thomas&Finny for calculus.(spell of the authors may be wrong)

1. What is the purpose of "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki"?

"Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki" is a resource designed to help physics students practice and improve their mathematical skills. These exercises are specifically tailored to topics and concepts commonly encountered in physics courses.

2. Who can benefit from using "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki"?

Any physics student, from high school to graduate level, can benefit from using "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki". These exercises are designed to cater to a range of skill levels and can help students of all levels improve their mathematical proficiency in the context of physics.

3. Are the exercises in "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki" applicable to all branches of physics?

Yes, the exercises in "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki" cover a wide range of topics and concepts that are applicable to all branches of physics. These exercises are designed to strengthen fundamental mathematical skills that are essential for success in any area of physics.

4. Can "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki" be used as a standalone resource for learning math for physics?

No, "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki" is not intended to be a standalone resource for learning math for physics. It should be used as a supplement to other learning materials, such as textbooks and lectures, to provide additional practice and reinforcement of mathematical concepts.

5. Are there solutions provided for the exercises in "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki"?

Yes, solutions are provided for all of the exercises in "Math Exercises for Physics Students | Maiki". These solutions can be found at the end of each exercise set or can be accessed online through the Maiki website. It is important to attempt the exercises on your own before checking the solutions to fully benefit from the practice.