Existence of Inverse Functions

In summary: Otherwise, the differential is zero, which means there is a turning-point and the function is a pure function.In summary, the online quiz asks if the inverse function of the function x > 1 is defined. I am not sure if I am looking at the domain of x > 1 for the inverse or the original function, so I am Unsure if I should say 'no' or 'yes'. If I am looking at the domain of x > 1, then the inverse function is defined for all x > 1 and I should say 'yes' as the inverse is defined for all of x > 1.
AussieDave

Homework Statement

Hello. My following problem is partially about the maths concept involved but is largely to do with what the question is actually asking? It's from an online quiz and a printscreen of it has been provided as an attachment.

Homework Equations

See attachments for the questions and a graph of one of the possible answers to help illustrate my point.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please look at the attachment with the graph (drawn in Paint sorry) of f(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x-3}[/tex] drawn in blue and its inverse in green. The question asks if it has an inverse for x > 1 but I'm not sure whether I'm looking at the domain of x > 1 for the inverse or the original function? f(x) has a domain of [3, [tex]\infty[/tex]) so I thought perhaps I would say 'no' to it as it isn't defined for all of x > 1. I then realized that the inverse function has a domain of [0, [tex]\infty[/tex]) so perhaps I should say yes as the inverse is defined for all of x > 1

This is my main query and it extends throughout the other 3 possible answers as well. I think I'm confidentially able to say 'yes' to (a) because both f(x) = ln(x+2) and its inverse are defined for x > 1 but that doesn't mean I fully understand what I'm being asked for.

Thank you kindly in advance for help on what I'm actually being asked for. Help on (b) would also be much appreciated because finding the inverse gets a bit harder when the inverse isn't actually defined as a function.

-David

Attachments

• Quiz 1 Question 1.JPG
    Quiz 1 Question 1.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Quiz 1 Question 1 Example.JPG
    Quiz 1 Question 1 Example.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Attachments Pending Approval

I wonder if it's permissible to upload pictures on something like tinypic, and then post it.

Ahh okay. Here we go:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4554/quiz1question1vc2.jpg

Graph of Question B and the inverse function.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1566/quiz1question1exampleuz2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they might mean x>1 for the original function.

However, ln(x+2) is the only function where the inverse function is still a function and isn't ambiguous, either.

That's what I was thinking. I thought that (d) would be correct too because the inverse of f(x) = |x + 1| for x > 1 is specifically defined as shown in the below graph. The circled in red parts are the relevant bits as they are the graph of f(x) for x > 1 and then its inverse.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8672/quiz1question1example2zw6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But in order for a function to be a function, it has to pass the vertical line test, which the inverse of that graph doesn't do.

But the inverse of that graph does pass the vertical line test if only the inverse for the function over the domain [1, + infinity) is considered.

It doesn't. The inverse of the function has two y coordinates for every x coordinate on [0,∞).

Edit: Ah, nevermind. I get what you're saying. Quite the ambiguous question indeed. But I don't believe they are asking you to restrict the domain when plotting, just restricting the domain when seeing which has an inverse when x>1.

Last edited:
So with that in mind you'd agree on at least (a) and (d) being correct?

Does anyone else have any input on this? The quiz gets handed in in 3 hours and atm I'm ticking (a) and (d). I'm pretty positive on this but any other input would be much appreciated.

AussieDave said:
The question asks if it has an inverse for x > 1 but I'm not sure whether I'm looking at the domain of x > 1 for the inverse or the original function

Hi David! :smile:

"Which of the following functions has an inverse for x > 1?

a. ln(x+2) …"

That definitely means if the x in the definition is > 1.

If they meant y (or whatever), they'd say so! :smile:

Okay then. So to clarify, that'd mean:

(a) Yes because the function is defined for -3 -> + infinity and has a clearly defined inverse function over the domain 1 -> + infinity

(b) No because the function does not have a clearly defined inverse over the domain 1 to + infinity due to the absolute value effectively turning it into a hybrid function. There is also the issue of the function not being 1 to 1

(c) No because the function is only defined for 3 -> + infinity and therefore isn't defined over all of 1 -> + infinity and therefore doesn't fit the criteria

(d) Yes because whilst the function isn't 1 to 1 and therefore doesn't have a single inverse function defined for its entire domain, for the domain 1 -> + infinity it is 1 to 1 and has a clearly defined inverse function

Are those answers and reasonings correct?

Hi David! :smile:

(a) correct.

(b) correct - but what's a hybrid function? only the one-to-one matters.

(c) correct, if the values are all real, not correct if they allow imaginary values!

(d) correct.

btw, a good guide is to differentiate - if the differential is always non-zero, then there can't be a turning-point, and and so the function must be single-valued! :smile:

But if the differential is zero, you still have to check, since it might be an inflexion point and not a turning-point. :frown:

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical function that undoes the effect of another function. In other words, if you apply a function to a number and then apply its inverse to the result, you should get back the original number.

How do you know if a function has an inverse?

A function has an inverse if it is one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. This can be determined by checking if the function passes the horizontal line test, where no horizontal line intersects the graph of the function more than once.

What is the process for finding the inverse of a function?

The process for finding the inverse of a function involves switching the roles of the input and output variables and solving for the output. This can be done by following the steps of the inverse function theorem, which involves finding the derivative of the original function and using it to find the derivative of the inverse function.

Can any function have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. Only one-to-one functions have an inverse, and other types of functions such as constant functions, periodic functions, and non-injective functions do not have an inverse.

What is the significance of inverse functions in mathematics and science?

Inverse functions are important in many areas of mathematics and science. They are used to solve equations, calculate derivatives and integrals, and understand the relationships between different functions. Inverse functions also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.