1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding a function in terms of a vector

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ## L (v^2 + 2 \pmb{v} \cdot \pmb{ \epsilon } ~ + \pmb{ \epsilon} ^2)##, where ## \pmb{\epsilon}## is infinitesimal and ##\pmb{v}## is a constant vector (## v^2 ## here means ## \pmb{v} \cdot \pmb{v} ## ), must be expanded in terms of powers of ## \pmb{\epsilon} ## to give $$ L(v^2)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}\ 2 \ \pmb{v} \cdot \pmb{\epsilon} $$
    where terms above the first order have been neglected.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought about using the Taylor expansion to expand L in terms of ## \pmb{\epsilon} ##, but that seems to work only if ##\epsilon ## were a scalar, so I'm not quite sure what to use to expand L.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What is your question? Are you trying to show that ## L (v^2 + 2 \pmb{v} \cdot \pmb{ \epsilon } ~ + \pmb{ \epsilon} ^2) \approx L(v^2)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}\ 2 \ \pmb{v} \cdot \pmb{\epsilon} ##?

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3
    Yes. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

5. Jul 9, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It looks to me like they're doing something like this:
    ##f(x + \Delta x) \approx f(x) + f'(x) \cdot \Delta x##
    IOW, it's the Taylor expansion with terms only up to the first derivative.

6. Jul 9, 2015 #5
    Is there a reason why the derivative in the second term should be the partial derivative ## \frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2} ##, then?

7. Jul 9, 2015 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The domain of L is a subset of ##\mathbb R##, not a subset of ##\mathbb R^n## with n>1, so L doesn't have partial derivatives. Maybe that's just a terrible notation for ##L'(\pmb v^2)##.

I would start like this and then just use the chain rule:
    $$L(\mathbf v^2+2\pmb v\cdot\pmb\varepsilon+\pmb\varepsilon^2) = L(\pmb v^2)+\varepsilon_i\frac{\partial}{\partial \varepsilon_i}\bigg|_{\pmb 0} L(\pmb v^2+2\pmb v\cdot\pmb\varepsilon+\pmb\varepsilon^2).$$

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted