Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Expanding math space implies expanding space?

Tags:
  1. Apr 11, 2018 #1
    The minimal necessary math to describe the potential path of an electron expands over time. Second by second, the space necessary to describe the possible positions of the electron expands.
    Does that imply expansion of physical space? And does that shift the explanation of the expansion of space from the General Relativists assumption of "initial conditions" to a quantum explanation.
    Please. i'm only lawyer with a smattering of math courses. Have mercy GR guys. For once. Just have mercy on me this time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2018 #2
    Help! Why doesn't potential equal expansion?

4. Apr 12, 2018 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don’t think this is true, at least not for an electron in an energy eigenstate. That is the reason that energy eigenstates are probably the most commonly discussed states.

5. Apr 13, 2018 #4

JMz

I'm sincerely curious why the thought of needing mercy crossed your mind.

6. Apr 15, 2018 at 2:03 AM #5

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

That's all you need. Simply read the following in the sequence posted and much will be clear, and you can do a post to clarify any further queries:
    https://www.amazon.com/Theoretical-Minimum-Start-Doing-Physics/dp/0465075681
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Quantum-Mechanics-Theoretical-Leonard-Susskind-ebook/dp/B06XC7F6QG
    https://www.amazon.com/Special-Relativity-Classical-Field-Theory/dp/0241293324

To answer your query you are possibly thinking of Feynman's path integral approach. Its just a pictorial way of looking at whats called the path integral - which isn't really an integral in the usual sense - but that is just by the by for now - I can explain it exactly once you have read the above. Whats going on when not observed QM is silent about - there is no 'expansion' - going on - except regarding the spreading of wave-packets - but since what a state is, is hotly contested in various interpretations, that's not the best way of looking at that either - best to just spend a bit of time understanding the formalism. You are a Lawyer - you are a smart dude - you can do it. It will just take a bit pf time.

When you have finished the field theory book I can explain GR, and expansion, very easily using something called Lovelock's Theorem - but not now - you need a bit of background first

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 2:22 AM
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted