Expanding the periodic potentials

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing periodic potentials in the form v(r) = Ʃf(r-R), where the sum is over lattice vectors R. It is clarified that this is possible if the potential is periodic, as it is the most general form of a function that fulfills the periodicity condition. The validity of this formula is proven by considering a large, finite lattice with periodic boundary conditions.
hokhani
Could one always write the periodic potentials in the form:
v(r)=Ʃf(r-G)
where the sum is over G (reciprocal lattice vectors)?

Physics news on Phys.org
r-G does not make sense. They are vectors in different spaces. They have different units.

Excuse me. I wrote wrong.
Can we write v(r)=Ʃf(r-R) where the sum is over lattice vectors R?

This looks like superposition. Adding the potentials of each atom, in the coordinate system with origin in the specific atom. Periodicity does not seem to be necessary for this.
f(r-R) will be the potential "produced" by the atom at location R.

Ok, thank you. But I like to know that could we earn this formula merely by having periodicity condition (without regarding atoms)?

yes, if the potential v is periodic, then it can be written in this form. This is the most general form of a function v(r) which fulfills v(r+R) = v(r) for all lattice vectors R (i.e., which is periodic).

cgk said:
yes, if the potential v is periodic, then it can be written in this form. This is the most general form of a function v(r) which fulfills v(r+R) = v(r) for all lattice vectors R (i.e., which is periodic).
Could you please prove it or give me a reference which has proved it?

Consider a large, finite lattice with periodic boundary conditions. Note that then v(r)=Ʃf(r-R) hold if you put in f(r) = v(r)/N_R itself, where N_R is the total number of lattice points. This also still holds if you set f(r) = v(r) if r is in one single unit cell, and 0 if not.

1. What is "expanding the periodic potentials"?

"Expanding the periodic potentials" refers to the process of manipulating the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice to create a larger unit cell, resulting in a larger periodic potential.

2. Why is expanding the periodic potentials important in materials science?

Expanding the periodic potentials allows for the creation of new materials with unique properties that cannot be achieved with smaller unit cells. It also allows for the study of the effects of different crystal structures on material properties.

3. What techniques are commonly used to expand periodic potentials?

Common techniques used to expand periodic potentials include epitaxial growth, intercalation, and doping. These methods involve adding new atoms or molecules into the crystal lattice to change its structure and expand the unit cell.

4. What are some potential applications of expanded periodic potentials?

Expanded periodic potentials have a wide range of potential applications, including in the development of new electronic, magnetic, and optical materials. They can also be used to improve the performance of existing materials, such as increasing the conductivity of semiconductors.

5. Are there any challenges associated with expanding periodic potentials?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with expanding periodic potentials. These include finding the right method to expand the lattice, maintaining the stability of the expanded structure, and accurately predicting the resulting properties of the material.