1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion/Compressibility Coefficients: Carnahan & Starling Model

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations

Using the Carnahan and Starling equation, estimate the coefficient of volumetric expansion, α, and the coefficient of compressibility, β, defined as

α ≡ 1/V * (δV/δT) [holding P constant] and
    β ≡ -1/V * (δV/δP) [holding T constant]

(I've used δ here for partial differentials)

for the hard sphere fluid at a packing fraction η = 0.40.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried using Z = PV/nkT and then the CS expression for Z: Z = (1+η+η²-η³) / (1-η)³ however we find α = 1/T and β = 1/P which seems far too easy.

Could someone please offer a suggestion of which direction I should be looking in? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get something different.

But, the packing fraction [itex]\eta[/itex] is a function of V.

[tex]\eta = \frac{ \pi n d^3}{6V} [/tex]

So, when you use the equation of state to find the partial derivatives holding P or T constant, remember to account for this.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    hmm, OK, let me see if I'm on the right track here,

setting Z = PV/NkT = (1+η+η²-η³) / (1-η)³
    where, as you described, η = pi*N*d³ / 6V

Doing some quick algebra, I get:

V^4 (x) - V³ (1 + 3xy) + V² (3y²x - y²) - V (y³x) + y³ = 0

Where I've said,
    x = P / NkT (volume "coefficient" in ideal gas law)
    y = N*pi*d³ / 6 (volume "coefficient" in η)

Am I on the right track there, or have I gone completely wrong?! Thanks for your help, siddharth :)
  5. Nov 1, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think so. However, it's easier to work with [itex]\eta[/itex] rather than V. Just express T as a function of p and [itex]\eta[/itex], calculate the derivative wrt to V (ie, eta) at constant p and then invert it to get your required partial derivative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?