Expectation of Normal Distribution

In summary, to compute E[Y], E[Z], E[YZ], E[Y^2] and E[Z^2], use known results for E[Z] and E[Z^2] and integration by parts for E[Z^3] and E[Z^4]. Alternatively, use the moment generating function of the normal distribution to calculate the n'th moment of Z.
MattFox
Let Y = a + bZ + cZ2 where Z (0,1) is a standard normal random variable.
(i) Compute E[Y], E[Z], E[YZ], E[Y^2] and E[Z^2].
HINT: You will need to determine E[Z^r], r = 1, 2, 3, 4. When r = 1, 2 you should
use known results. Integration by parts will help when r = 3, 4.
I am struggling with the part of the question involving E[Z^3] and E[Z^4]. Clearly E[Z]=0 and E[Z^2]=1 but I do not no where to proceed when computing higher powers of Z. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Expected value of a function g of z is E[g(z)] = [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}g(z)f(z)dz[/itex] where f is the pdf of z.

So am I right in thinking I let g(z) = z^3 and f(z)= 1/(sigma * sqrt2pi) ... and then use integration by parts?

That should be it.

I'm not really getting anywhere with the integration by parts. Is there any hint you could offer or show me a step I could be missing out?

Can you post what you have so far?

Ok so,

INT u dv = uv - INT v du

Then i let u = Z^3 and dv = the pdf of the normal dist.

Im lost when it comes to integrating the pdf and I'm not sure how it will condense down to a manageable solution. Sorry about the lack of symbols, I'm not sure how to properly upload images yet.

Attachments

• normal.png
    normal.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 654
If dv = the pdf of the normal dist., then what is v?

(If dv = f(z) and v = F(z), what is F?)

F(z) is the cdf of the normal distribution.

So E(Z^3) = Z^3 * F(Z) - INT 3Z^2 * F(Z).

Do i then need to apply integration by parts again? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions I just really don't understand what I'm trying to achieve as a solution.

Or more accurately, what form the solution will take i.e an integer, function of Z...

u = Z^3 and dv = f(z)dz ===> v = F(z)

E(Z^3) = INT u dv = [uv] - INT v du = [Z^3 * F(Z)] - INT F(Z) 3Z^2 dZ, where each of the [uv] expression and the last INT are evaluated over (-infinity, +infinity).

E.g., [uv] = u(+infinity)v(+infinity) - u(-infinity)v(-infinity) ... but (infinity)^3 is not a real number, so something's amiss. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

What is the "Expectation of Normal Distribution"?

The expectation of a normal distribution, also known as the mean or average, is the value at the center of the distribution. It represents the most likely outcome or average value of a random variable following a normal distribution.

How is the expectation of a normal distribution calculated?

The expectation of a normal distribution is calculated by taking the sum of all the values in the distribution and dividing by the total number of values. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by multiplying the mean and the probability of each value and then summing them up.

Why is the expectation of a normal distribution important in statistics?

The expectation of a normal distribution is important in statistics because it is a descriptive measure that summarizes the central tendency of a data set. It helps in understanding the average value of a variable and can be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about the data.

Is the expectation of a normal distribution always the same as the median?

In a normal distribution, the expectation and the median are the same. However, in skewed distributions, the expectation may differ from the median. The median is the value that divides the data set into two equal halves, while the expectation is the average value of the entire data set.

Can the expectation of a normal distribution be negative?

Yes, the expectation of a normal distribution can be negative if the distribution is skewed towards the left or has a mean less than zero. In a normal distribution, the expectation can take on any value, positive or negative.