Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Expectation of Normal Distribution

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Let Y = a + bZ + cZ2 where Z (0,1) is a standard normal random variable.
    (i) Compute E[Y], E[Z], E[YZ], E[Y^2] and E[Z^2].
    HINT: You will need to determine E[Z^r], r = 1, 2, 3, 4. When r = 1, 2 you should
    use known results. Integration by parts will help when r = 3, 4.

I am struggling with the part of the question involving E[Z^3] and E[Z^4]. Clearly E[Z]=0 and E[Z^2]=1 but I do not no where to proceed when computing higher powers of Z. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Expected value of a function g of z is E[g(z)] = [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}g(z)f(z)dz[/itex] where f is the pdf of z.

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    So am I right in thinking I let g(z) = z^3 and f(z)= 1/(sigma * sqrt2pi) .... and then use integration by parts?

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That should be it.

6. Dec 2, 2007 #5
    I'm not really getting anywhere with the integration by parts. Is there any hint you could offer or show me a step I could be missing out?

7. Dec 2, 2007 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you post what you have so far?

8. Dec 2, 2007 #7
    Ok so,

INT u dv = uv - INT v du

Then i let u = Z^3 and dv = the pdf of the normal dist.

Im lost when it comes to integrating the pdf and i'm not sure how it will condense down to a manageable solution. Sorry about the lack of symbols, i'm not sure how to properly upload images yet.

Attached Files:

9. Dec 2, 2007 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If dv = the pdf of the normal dist., then what is v?

(If dv = f(z) and v = F(z), what is F?)

10. Dec 2, 2007 #9
    F(z) is the cdf of the normal distribution.

So E(Z^3) = Z^3 * F(Z) - INT 3Z^2 * F(Z).

Do i then need to apply integration by parts again? I'm sorry if i'm asking too many questions I just really don't understand what i'm trying to achieve as a solution.

11. Dec 2, 2007 #10
    Or more accurately, what form the solution will take i.e an integer, function of Z...

12. Dec 3, 2007 #11

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

u = Z^3 and dv = f(z)dz ===> v = F(z)

E(Z^3) = INT u dv = [uv] - INT v du = [Z^3 * F(Z)] - INT F(Z) 3Z^2 dZ, where each of the [uv] expression and the last INT are evaluated over (-infinity, +infinity).

E.g., [uv] = u(+infinity)v(+infinity) - u(-infinity)v(-infinity) ... but (infinity)^3 is not a real number, so something's amiss. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

13. Dec 3, 2007 #12

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook