Expectation value of observable in Bell State

In summary: Furthermore, given an operator ##\mathcal{O}_A## that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_A## and an operator ##\mathcal{O}_B## that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_B##, then we can construct the tensor product operator ##\mathcal{O}_{AB} =...##, that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_{AB}## via$$ \mathcal{O}_{AB} \left( |\alpha\rangle_A \otimes |\beta\rangle_B \right) = \left(\mathcal{O}_A|\alpha\rangle_
ma18

Homework Statement

Consider the bipartite observable

O_AB = (sigma_A · n) ⊗ (sigma_B · m)

Where n and m are three vectors and

sigma_i = (sigma_1_i, sigma_2_i, sigma_3_i)

with i = [A,B] are the Pauli vectors.

Compute using abstract and matrix representation the expectation value of O_AB in the Bell State

|ψ> = 1/sqrt(2) (|0_A 1_B> +|1_A 0_B))

for n = (0,1,0)† , b = (0,0,1)†

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so first I computed the representation of the observable

Applying the values of n and m it comes to

O_AB = sigma_2_A ⊗ sigma_3_B

= (0 -i ⊗ (1 0
i 0) 0 -1)

= (0 0 -i 0
0 0 0 1
i 0 0 0
0 -i 0 0)

After this I am not sure how to proceed with calculating the expectation value as I don't know how to represent

as a matrix

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-7_21-49-21.png
    upload_2015-11-7_21-49-21.png
    961 bytes · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
It is common to choose ##|0\rangle## and ##|1\rangle## to be orthonormal vectors given by the eigenstates of ##\sigma_z##, so that
$$ |0\rangle=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix},~~|1\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}.$$
The components of the Bell state would be tensor products of these. You might want to check your notes to see that you are using the same convention.

I see, so then taking the tensor product the bell state would be represented as

= 1/sqrt(2) (0
0)

ma18 said:
I see, so then taking the tensor product the bell state would be represented as

= 1/sqrt(2) (0
0)

What you've written is sometimes called the dyadic product of vectors. While it is true that the dyadic product is directly related to the tensor product of vectors, I don't believe that you want to use that here.

The properties of the tensor product of Hilbert spaces that you will want to use are that, given a pair of states belonging to individual Hilbert spaces ##|\alpha\rangle_A \in \mathcal{H}_A## and ##|\beta\rangle_B \in \mathcal{H}_B##, we say that the tensor product of the states, ##|\alpha\rangle_A \otimes |\beta\rangle_B## lies in the direct product of the Hilbert spaces ##\mathcal{H}_{AB} = \mathcal{H}_A\times \mathcal{H}_B##. Furthermore, given an operator ##\mathcal{O}_A## that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_A## and an operator ##\mathcal{O}_B## that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_B##, then we can construct the tensor product operator ##\mathcal{O}_{AB} = \mathcal{O}_A\otimes \mathcal{O}_B##, that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_{AB}## via
$$ \mathcal{O}_{AB} \left( |\alpha\rangle_A \otimes |\beta\rangle_B \right) = \left(\mathcal{O}_A|\alpha\rangle_A \right)\otimes \left( \mathcal{O}_B|\beta\rangle_B\right).$$

fzero said:
What you've written is sometimes called the dyadic product of vectors. While it is true that the dyadic product is directly related to the tensor product of vectors, I don't believe that you want to use that here.

The properties of the tensor product of Hilbert spaces that you will want to use are that, given a pair of states belonging to individual Hilbert spaces ##|\alpha\rangle_A \in \mathcal{H}_A## and ##|\beta\rangle_B \in \mathcal{H}_B##, we say that the tensor product of the states, ##|\alpha\rangle_A \otimes |\beta\rangle_B## lies in the direct product of the Hilbert spaces ##\mathcal{H}_{AB} = \mathcal{H}_A\times \mathcal{H}_B##. Furthermore, given an operator ##\mathcal{O}_A## that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_A## and an operator ##\mathcal{O}_B## that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_B##, then we can construct the tensor product operator ##\mathcal{O}_{AB} = \mathcal{O}_A\otimes \mathcal{O}_B##, that acts on ##\mathcal{H}_{AB}## via
$$ \mathcal{O}_{AB} \left( |\alpha\rangle_A \otimes |\beta\rangle_B \right) = \left(\mathcal{O}_A|\alpha\rangle_A \right)\otimes \left( \mathcal{O}_B|\beta\rangle_B\right).$$
I see, then is my formulation of the operator also incorrect (in this context)?

ma18 said:
I see, then is my formulation of the operator also incorrect (in this context)?

Well there is probably a way to make sense of what you've done, but you have a 4x4 matrix that won't directly act in a natural way on either the 2d vectors or that 2x2 matrix you wrote above. I would suggest working things out using the formalism in post #4. Afterwards, you can try to figure out if there's another way to reproduce those results.

Alright, but I am unsure how to proceed with that formalism. I'm not the best at quantum but this is the last class I need just to pass in order to graduate...

ma18 said:
Alright, but I am unsure how to proceed with that formalism. I'm not the best at quantum but this is the last class I need just to pass in order to graduate...

If you just had the operator ##\mathcal{O}_A = (\sigma^2)_A## and a state ##|0\rangle_A##, I'm sure that you know how to compute ##\mathcal{O}_A |0\rangle_A##. You could do the computation separately for each side of the tensor product in the formula for ##\mathcal{O}_{AB}## and then take the tensor product of the results. Give it a try and post back with any other questions you have.

Huh I looked in my notes and we actually do just use the dyadic version and the 4x4 matrix to find the expectation value

In fact it specifies to use the kronecker product to represent the tensor product.

using this matrix represetnation I get 0 for the expectation value

Last edited:
ma18 said:
Huh I looked in my notes and we actually do just use the dyadic version and the 4x4 matrix to find the expectation value

In fact it specifies to use the kronecker product to represent the tensor product.

using this matrix represetnation I get 0 for the expectation value
I'm sorry, I misread your 4-vector in post #3 as a badly formatted matrix. Taking a pair of 2-vectors to build a 4-vector is precisely the tensor product rather than the dyadic product (which would have given the 2x2 matrix instead). So your method seems correct (I haven't checked the actual answer though.)

fzero said:
I'm sorry, I misread your 4-vector in post #3 as a badly formatted matrix. Taking a pair of 2-vectors to build a 4-vector is precisely the tensor product rather than the dyadic product (which would have given the 2x2 matrix instead). So your method seems correct (I haven't checked the actual answer though.)

No worries, I actually do have to do it with a matrix representation and an abstract representation anyway

I'm still a little confused about the abstract representation :(

1. What is the expectation value of an observable in a Bell state?

The expectation value of an observable in a Bell state refers to the average value of that observable when measured on a large number of identical Bell states. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the observable operator and the Bell state, and then taking the absolute value squared of that result.

2. How is the expectation value of an observable related to the probabilities of measurement outcomes?

The expectation value of an observable is the weighted average of the possible measurement outcomes, where the weights are given by the probabilities of each outcome. This means that the expectation value can be interpreted as the most likely value to be measured when a large number of measurements are performed on a Bell state.

3. Can the expectation value of an observable be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of an observable can be negative. This is because the expectation value is calculated by taking the inner product of the observable operator and the Bell state, which can result in both positive and negative values. The absolute value squared of this result gives the probability of measuring that particular outcome.

4. How does the expectation value of an observable change when the Bell state is changed?

The expectation value of an observable can change when the Bell state is changed, as it is a function of the Bell state itself. Different Bell states can have different probabilities for measurement outcomes, which will affect the overall expectation value of the observable.

5. What is the significance of the expectation value of an observable in Bell states?

The expectation value of an observable in Bell states is significant because it allows us to predict the most likely outcome of a measurement on a Bell state. It also provides a way to compare different Bell states and determine which one is more likely to result in a particular measurement outcome. Additionally, the expectation value is a key component in understanding the correlations between measurements on entangled particles in Bell states.