Expectation values and commutation relations

In summary: Yesss. It allows you to integrate without actually doing any integrals (in some cases).In summary, the expectation value of ##\hat{P}^3## for the harmonic oscillator in energy eigenstate ##|n\rangle## is zero due to the orthonormality of states. This can be shown by using ladder operators to simplify the expression and throwing out terms that involve uneven numbers of creation and annihilation operators. The use of Dirac notation allows for easier integration and simplification of calculations.
BOAS

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the expectation value of ##\hat{P}^3## for the harmonic oscillator in energy eigenstate ##|n\rangle##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\hat{P}^3 = (i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar \omega m}{2}} (\hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a}))^3 = -i(\frac{\hbar \omega m}{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}(\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger + \hat{a} \hat{a}\hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} - \hat{a} \hat{a} \hat{a} + \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} + \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} \hat{a})##

I have used the trick of adding a zero such that ##\hat{a} \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger = \hat{a} \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger - \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} + \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} = \hat{a} [\hat{a}, \hat{a}^\dagger] + \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} = \hat{a} + \hat{a} \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}## on the terms ##\hat a \hat a \hat{a}^\dagger, \hat a \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger, \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger \hat a, \hat{a}^\dagger \hat a \hat a## and ended up with the expression (dropping the prefactors)

##\hat P^3 \propto (\hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a}^\dagger + 3 \hat a \hat{a}^\dagger \hat a - 3 \hat{a}^\dagger \hat a \hat{a}^\dagger + \hat a \hat a \hat a)##

which I don't think can be simplified further using the trick above. Are there any tricks I can use to tackle the central and outside terms?

Although it looks like the expectation value of all that will be zero due to the orthonormality of states...

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't look for tricks. Start with the expanded 8-term expression you have and throw out the operators that you know give zero expectation values. Remember that these are also known as ladder operators. What is the result when they operate on | n >?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Don't look for tricks. Start with the expanded 8-term expression you have and throw out the operators that you know give zero expectation values. Remember that these are also known as ladder operators. What is the result when they operate on | n >?

##\hat a |n\rangle = \sqrt{n} |n-1\rangle##

##\hat a \hat a |n\rangle = \sqrt{n} \hat a |n-1\rangle = \sqrt{n} \sqrt{n-1} |n-2\rangle##

##\hat a \hat a \hat a |n\rangle = \sqrt{n} \sqrt{n-1} \sqrt{n-2} |n-3\rangle##

##\langle n| \hat a \hat a \hat a |n\rangle = \sqrt{n} \sqrt{n-1} \sqrt{n-2} \langle n|n-3\rangle = 0## due to the orthonormality of states.

I think all of the others go to zero as well, since all the combinations involve uneven numbers of the creation and annihilation operators, which leads to the scalar product of a state with a different state, all of which are orthonormal.

BOAS said:
I think all of the others go to zero as well, since all the combinations involve uneven numbers of the creation and annihilation operators, which leads to the scalar product of a state with a different state, all of which are orthonormal.
You got it. :smile:

kuruman said:
You got it. :smile:

awesome, thanks for your help.

I'm still getting to grips with Dirac notation, but it's benefits are immediately obvious.

BOAS said:
I'm still getting to grips with Dirac notation, but it's benefits are immediately obvious.
Yesss. It allows you to integrate without actually doing any integrals (in some cases).

What are expectation values?

Expectation values are the average values of a physical quantity that a system is expected to have in a given state. They are calculated using the probabilities of possible outcomes and their associated values.

How do you calculate expectation values?

To calculate an expectation value, you first need to determine the possible outcomes and their associated probabilities. Then, you multiply each outcome by its corresponding probability and sum them together. This gives you the average value of the physical quantity for that particular state.

What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical relationships between two operators that represent physical quantities. They indicate how the two operators behave with respect to each other when they act on a given state.

How do commutation relations relate to uncertainty?

Commutation relations play a crucial role in understanding the concept of uncertainty in quantum mechanics. If two operators do not commute, it means that the two physical quantities they represent cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision.

Can commutation relations be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Yes, commutation relations can be used to predict the behavior of a system. They provide important information about the relationships between physical quantities and how they affect each other. This information can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system in different states.