1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Expectations of Random Variables

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    I am working on correcting an exam so that I may study for my probability final. Unfortunately, I don't have the correct answers, so I was hoping that someone here might be able to check my thought process.

1) Pick three numbers without replacement from the set {1,2,3,3,4,4,4}. Let T be the number of values that do not appear in your sample. Find the expectation of T.

I believe that to solve this one would use counting indicator variables. [tex]A_i[/tex] would indicate that at least one [tex]i[/tex] was drawn, such that [tex]4-T = A_1 + A_2 + A_3+A_4[/tex]. Expectation is linear, so [tex] E(T) = 4 - E(A_1) -E(A_2) - E(A_3)-E(A_4)[/tex]. The expectation of $A_i$ is just the probability of obtaining it, so [tex]E(t) = 4 - 3(1/7+1/7+2/7+3/7) = 1[/tex]

There are a couple of things that worry me. First, if we scale up the set so that in includes 100 elements: {1,2,3,3,4,4,4...,4,4}, then there are still 4 distinct values. I still choose three numbers at random. By the calculation above, I get 1 again, though I would expect it now to be closer to 3, since I have almost no chance of drawing a 1, 2, or 3. I think the fault lies in my calculation of the probabilities. I want the probability that I get *at least one* 1, at least one 2, and so one. I could do this by taking the complement: 1 minus the probability that I get no ones, no twos, etc, but this would be a complicated binomial problem, wouldn't it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

I've read through this, but can you explain "Let T be the number of values that do not appear in your sample"?

say C is your choice, do you mean if:
    C = {4,4,4} then T = 3
    C = {4,4,3} then T = 2 and so on?

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    Yes, that is what I mean.

In any case, I thought about it, and the determination of the probabilities isn't as hard as I thought it would be. For example, the probability of getting at least one 2 is the complement of getting no twos.

The probability of getting no twos is:

[tex] \frac{{1 \choose 0} {6 \choose 3}}{{7 \choose 3}} [/tex]

Which is the standard calculation for sampling without replacement.

5. Jun 10, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

i'm still thinking on it, but i think one bust might be the Ai are not purely independent events...

so its worth examining it from a case point of view & see if we can generalise from there... then we can pick the easiest cases to solve remembering the probs must all sum to 1.

T=4, clearly P(T=4) = 0

T=3
    this can only happen if we choose 444,

T=2
    this can happen with the following outcomes: 133, 144, 233, 244, 344, 334

T=1
    that can happen if we draw: 123, 134, 234

T= 0, P(T=0) = 0, again clearly

so looking at the T=3 case, the number of the ways to draw 3 objects from 7 without any order is:
    [tex] {}^7 C_{3} = \frac{7!}{3!4!} [/tex]
    there is only distinct case where we choose all 3 4s, so the probabilty is:
    [tex] Pr(T=3) = \frac{1}{{}^7 C_{3}}[/tex]

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

then if you can do the probabilities for T=1, you've cracked it...

7. Jun 10, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

another case based way is the X| method, X means we take a number, | means we skip to the next pile

as said, in total there are [itex] {}^7 C_{3} = \frac{7!}{3!4!} =7.5 = 35[/itex] distinct combinations we can end up with, when order is not important

cases are

T = 3
    |||XXX = 1

T = 2
    X||XX| = 1
    X|||XX = 3C2
    |X||XX|= 1
    |X|||XX = 3C2
    ||XX|X = 3C1
    ||X|XX = (2C1)(3C2)

T = 1
    X|X|X| = 2C1
    X||X|X = (2C1)(3C1)
    |X|X|X = (2C1)(3C1)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook