1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected Value of Inverse Gamma Distribution

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have that X is distributed with Gamma(a,b) and that [itex] Y = \frac{1}{X}[/itex]. I found the pdf of Y to be [itex]\frac{1}{\Gamma(a)b^a} \left(\frac{1}{y}\right)^{a+1} e^{-1/yb} [/itex] for y > 0. I need to use this to find the expected value.

2. Relevant equations
    The gamma function is defined as [itex]\Gamma(a) = \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{a-1} e^{-t} \, dt [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution I know how to approach the problem, but I am having trouble actually getting the correct answer. Here is what I've done.
    [itex] \begin{align*}
    E[Y] &=\frac{1}{\Gamma(a)b^a} \int_{0}^{\infty} y \left(\frac{1}{y}\right)^{a+1} e^{-1/yb} \, dy \\
    &=\frac{1}{\Gamma(a)b^a} \int_{0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{y}\right)^{a} e^{-1/yb} \, dy \\
    \text{Let t = 1/y so dt = -1/y^2.} \\
    &= \frac{-1}{\Gamma(a)b^a} \int_{\infty}^{0} t^{a-2} e^{-t/b} \, dt \\
    &= \frac{1}{\Gamma(a)b^a} \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{t}{b}\right)^{a-2} b^{a-2} e^{-t/b} \, dt \\
    &= \frac{b^{a-2}\Gamma(a-1)}{\Gamma(a)b^a} \\
    &= \frac{1}{\Gamma(a-1) b^2}
    \end{align*}
    [/itex]

But I think I'm not supposed to have that extra b in the denominator. I've gone over the substitution a few times and it seems like raising t to the a-2 power is correct since I've removed two of the (1/y)'s to substitute in for dt. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have changed variables incorrectly: when you set ##t = 1/y## you will have ##e^{-t^b}## in the integrand, so you cannot 'do' the integral as it stands. You need a different change of variables.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    Do you have a suggestion for what to use for the substitution? I also tried substituting in [itex]t = \frac{1}{by} [/itex] so that I would just have [itex] e^{-t} [/itex] in the integrand, but I again ran into the problem of having [itex]b^{a-2}[/itex] pulled outside the integral rather than the [itex]b^{a-1}[/itex] that I am supposed to have.

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4
    Oh, never mind I think I see where I made my mistake. Forgot about that extra b when substituting dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted