1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected Value Problem Help

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. A city has 74,806 registered automobiles. Each is required to display a bumper decal showing that the owner paid an annual wheel tax of $50. By law, new decals needed to be purchased during the month of the owner’s birthday. How much wheel tax revenue can the city expect to receive in November?

2. expected value = E(X) = summation(x*f(x))
    Leibnitz's rule

3. I thought there was not enough information in the problem. Can we assume that people are equally likely to be born in the different months of the year?
    Anyway, all I have is E(X) = (74,506*50)*1/12
    where the part in parenthesis is x and 1/12 is the probability function
    (not sure).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

I think you are right that you need to assume a uniform distribution of birthdays, and I would write that assumption out explicitly.

Just one question about your answer - what is the expected revenue in (say) February?

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    Going by the same approach, it would be the same answer. Did you have something else in mind?

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

I think each day is equally likely...

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5
    Ah, I see. So for November, E(X) = (74,506*50)*30/365
    and for February, assuming it's not a leap year, it would be E(X) = (74,506*50)*28/365

Thanks for the help.

7. Nov 4, 2012 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

That is the right answer for a non-leap year - can you figure it out for an average year?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook