Calculating Expected Value for Independent Random Variables

In summary, to find E(max(X1,...,Xn)) for independent and identically distributed random variables, you can let Y=max(X1,...Xn) and use the CDF and PDF of Y. By noting that P(Y<=y) = P(X1<=y, X2<=y,..., Xn<=y), you can then calculate the expected value using the usual method.
jakey
Hi guys, if X1,X2,...,Xn are independent and identically distributed random variables, how do you find E(max(X1,...,Xn))?

Do you need to do order statistics or anything of that sort here? I got my answer by letting Y=max(X1,...Xn) and I got the CDF and then pdf of Y. For the CDF of Y, I just noted that P(Y<=y) = P(X1<=y, X2<=y,..., Xn<=y). Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
jakey said:
Hi guys, if X1,X2,...,Xn are independent and identically distributed random variables, how do you find E(max(X1,...,Xn))?

Do you need to do order statistics or anything of that sort here? I got my answer by letting Y=max(X1,...Xn) and I got the CDF and then pdf of Y. For the CDF of Y, I just noted that P(Y<=y) = P(X1<=y, X2<=y,..., Xn<=y). Is this right?

Yes: write
[tex]
P(Y \le y) = P(X_1 \le y, \dots, X_n \le y) = F_Y^n(y)
[/tex]

This allows you to get the density (assuming the quantities are continuous) and then you find the expected value the usual way.

Thanks statdad! :D

What is "Expected Value"?

Expected value is a concept in statistics and probability that represents the average outcome of a random variable over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and summing them together.

How is "Expected Value" used in scientific research?

In scientific research, expected value is used to make predictions and decisions based on probabilities. It is commonly used in experiments and simulations to estimate the likelihood of certain outcomes.

What is the difference between "Expected Value" and "Actual Value"?

Expected value is a theoretical value based on probabilities, while actual value is the real outcome of an experiment or event. The expected value may not always match the actual value, as random chance and other factors can influence the results.

How do you calculate "Expected Value"?

To calculate expected value, you multiply each possible outcome by its probability and then sum the products together. This can be represented as E(X) = Σ(xP(x)), where E(X) is the expected value, x is the outcome, and P(x) is the probability of that outcome.

What is the significance of "Expected Value" in decision making?

Expected value is important in decision making because it allows us to make informed choices based on probabilities. By calculating the expected value, we can determine the potential outcomes and their likelihood, which can help us make the best decisions in uncertain situations.