1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experimental derivation of magnetic force on a wire

Tags:
  1. Aug 28, 2015 #1
    Hi!
    I have performed an experiment measure force on a wire with electric current in a magnetic field. I got 3 graphs: Force as function of length (L) of wire, Force as function of current (I) and Force as function of magnetic field (B). In all cases, I got approximately a straight line through origo. Well; so far, so good.

If I know the variated values of the magnetic field, how can I from these functions get the relation F = kLIB? I know that the Tesla-unit is adapted so that k = 1, but in an experimental setup it should differ slightly from 1. How can I get this value from the experiment?

Thanks!
    Nick

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2015 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you plot the force as a function of the product L*I*B, using all of your data? You should be able to get a value for k from such a graph.

4. Aug 29, 2015 #3
    Thank you. My failure was that I not included the values held as constants in the product of each measure when I plotted the graph...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook