Phylogenetic Trees: Understanding and Applications

• Thread starter phylotree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, Phylogenetic trees are used as data and graphical models for evolution. They are considered approximate because distances between species are calculated using float numbers. Ready-made trees stored in XML files are used for applications such as Mesquite, MultiDendrograms, TreeDyn, and FastME. On the other hand, constructing a tree oneself is useful for research or explaining biological phenomena. DNASubway is a helpful tool for learning about phylogenetics on a molecular level.
phylotree
I only know that Phylogenetic tree is used as a data and graphical model for evolution. It looks nothing really special. Perhaps because my knowledge about it is still limited. Because distances between species are calculated using float numbers (right ?), the model is considered as approximate. If you have worked with phylogenetic trees, could you introduce applications that need you to use read and use ready made trees (likely data are stored in XML files) and those that you need to build one yourself for research or biological phenomena explanation purposes ? Thank you a lot,

Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry only have to be brief and answer one of your questions. In the past I've Mesquite. Its rather fun, even if it is just for curiosity's sake.

Other ones I've heard about but haven't used myself are; MultiDendrograms, TreeDyn and FastME.

There is a pretty big list here at bio-soft.

Thank you, this phylogenetic science field is difficult to me but I like it. I look at this
http://tolweb.org/Eukaryotes see how beautiful they are (from big animals to tiny insects, and different flowering plants, that is cool)

Last edited:
hey phylotree,

not sure if you're still looking for help with this, but DNASubway (google it, can't post links...) has a great introductory level tool for constructing phylogenetic relationships and learning about phylogenetics in general, on a molecular (dna, protein) level. In particular, you'll want to go on the 'blue line' They have a manual (find the link in the footer of the page) that can help walk you through it.

I have extensive experience working with phylogenetic trees and their applications. Phylogenetic trees are not just a simple data and graphical model for evolution, but they are essential tools in understanding the relationships between different species and their evolutionary history.

One of the main applications of phylogenetic trees is in the field of evolutionary biology. By analyzing the genetic data of different species, scientists can construct phylogenetic trees to show how different species are related and how they have evolved over time. This can help us understand the patterns of evolution and the processes that have shaped the diversity of life on Earth.

Phylogenetic trees also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and conservation. For example, in medicine, phylogenetic trees can be used to track the spread of diseases and identify their sources. In agriculture, phylogenetic trees can help breeders select the best crop varieties by understanding their genetic relationships. In conservation, phylogenetic trees can guide conservation efforts by identifying species that are evolutionarily distinct and therefore, more important to protect.

In terms of using ready-made trees stored in XML files, this is often done in comparative genomics studies. Scientists can use existing phylogenetic trees to compare the genetic sequences of different species and identify similarities and differences. This allows us to understand the genetic basis of various traits and how they have evolved across different species.

On the other hand, building phylogenetic trees from scratch is necessary in cases where there is no existing tree for the species of interest or when the existing tree needs to be updated with new data. This is often the case in research studies that aim to understand specific evolutionary events or phenomena. By constructing a phylogenetic tree, scientists can visually represent the relationships between different species and test hypotheses about their evolutionary history.

In summary, phylogenetic trees are powerful tools in understanding the relationships between different species and their evolutionary history. They have a wide range of applications in various fields and can be used both with existing trees and by constructing new ones. I hope this helps to broaden your understanding of the importance and applications of phylogenetic trees.

What is a phylogenetic tree?

A phylogenetic tree is a visual representation of the evolutionary relationships between different organisms. It shows how species are related to each other through common ancestors.

How are phylogenetic trees constructed?

Phylogenetic trees are constructed using various methods, such as DNA sequencing, morphological characteristics, and behavioral traits. These data are then analyzed and organized into a tree-like structure, with branches representing the evolutionary relationships between species.

What is the purpose of phylogenetic trees?

The main purpose of phylogenetic trees is to help scientists understand the evolutionary history and relationships between different species. They can also be used to predict the characteristics and behaviors of organisms based on their placement on the tree.

What are some practical applications of phylogenetic trees?

Phylogenetic trees have various practical applications, such as in medicine, agriculture, and conservation. They can be used to identify potential disease-causing organisms, track the spread of diseases, and develop new treatments. In agriculture, they can help improve crop yields and develop pest-resistant plants. In conservation, they can aid in identifying endangered species and creating effective conservation strategies.

What are the limitations of phylogenetic trees?

While phylogenetic trees can provide valuable insights into the evolutionary relationships between species, they also have limitations. These include the lack of complete data, the subjectivity of choosing which traits to include, and the possibility of incorrect assumptions about evolutionary relationships. Additionally, phylogenetic trees only show relationships between species and cannot fully explain the processes that led to those relationships.