Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain Phylogeney

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    I only know that Phylogenetic tree is used as a data and graphical model for evolution. It looks nothing really special. Perhaps because my knowledge about it is still limited. Because distances between species are calculated using float numbers (right ?), the model is considered as approximate. If you have worked with phylogenetic trees, could you introduce applications that need you to use read and use ready made trees (likely data are stored in XML files) and those that you need to build one yourself for research or biological phenomena explanation purposes ? Thank you a lot,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry only have to be brief and answer one of your questions. In the past I've Mesquite. Its rather fun, even if it is just for curiosity's sake.

Other ones I've heard about but haven't used myself are; MultiDendrograms, TreeDyn and FastME.

There is a pretty big list here at bio-soft.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    Thank you, this phylogenetic science field is difficult to me but I like it. I look at this
    http://tolweb.org/Eukaryotes see how beautiful they are (from big animals to tiny insects, and different flowering plants, that is cool)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. May 26, 2012 #4
    hey phylotree,

not sure if you're still looking for help with this, but DNASubway (google it, can't post links...) has a great introductory level tool for constructing phylogenetic relationships and learning about phylogenetics in general, on a molecular (dna, protein) level. In particular, you'll want to go on the 'blue line' They have a manual (find the link in the footer of the page) that can help walk you through it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook