Explanation of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem proof

In summary: How does this theorem apply to the sequence:x_{n} = (-1)^{n} * 1-1/n?The sequence is contained in [-2, 1]. Now consider [-2, -0.5) and [-0.5, 1]. Both intervals contain infinitely many elements of the sequence, but you have to choose one. Let's choose [-0.5, 1] and split it again: [-0.5, 0.25) and [0.25, 1]. The first one contains no elements, the second contains infinitely many of them, so choose it and split it again into [0.25, 0.625) and [0.625, 1]. The
BifSlamkovich

Homework Statement

Every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence.

Homework Equations

Suppose that closed intervals I_0 [itex]\supset[/itex] I_1[itex]\supset[/itex] ... [itex]\supset[/itex] I_m and natural numbers n[itex]_{1}[/itex] < n[itex]_{2}[/itex] <
... < n[itex]_{m}[/itex] have been chosen such that for each 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] k [itex]\leq[/itex] m,
(2)
|I[itex]_{k}[/itex]| = [itex]b-a/2^{k}[/itex], x[itex]_{n}_{k}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]I[itex]_{k}[/itex]n and x[itex]_{n}[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] I[itex]_{k}[/itex] for infinitely many n.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is what is the guarantee that x_n will be in I_k?

Physics news on Phys.org
Each subsequent interval I is chosen so that it contains infinitely many members of the sequence. This is always possible because the main sequence contains infinitely many elements.

voko said:
Each subsequent interval I is chosen so that it contains infinitely many members of the sequence. This is always possible because the main sequence contains infinitely many elements.

It seems that I do not understand the notation for

the statement:

x[itex]_{n}[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] I[itex]_{k}[/itex] for inifinitely many n.

Does it mean x[itex]_{1}[/itex], x[itex]_{2}[/itex], x[itex]_{3}[/itex], x[itex]_{4}[/itex] have to all be in the chosen interval?

How does this theorem apply to the sequence:

[itex]x[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex] = ([itex]-[/itex][itex]1[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex] * [itex]1[/itex]-[itex]1/n[/itex]?

BifSlamkovich said:

This is some non-standard notation (or perhaps you misrepresented it). What is meant is that every time the interval is divided into two subintervals, at least one of them must contain an infinite number of the sequence's members. Non necessarily all members, of course.

BifSlamkovich said:
How does this theorem apply to the sequence:

[itex]x[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex] = ([itex]-[/itex][itex]1[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex] * [itex]1[/itex]-[itex]1/n[/itex]?

The theorem applies to this sequence just fine. It contains, for example, this converging sequence: ## 1 - 1/(2n)##.

voko said:
The theorem applies to this sequence just fine. It contains, for example, this converging sequence: ## 1 - 1/(2n)##.

Suppose that closed intervals I_0 ⊃ I_1⊃ ... ⊃ I_m and natural numbers n1 < n2 <
... < nm have been chosen such that for each 0 ≤ k ≤ m,
(2)
|Ik| = b−a/2k, x_{n}_{k}∈Ikn and xn ∈ Ik for infinitely many n.

So, in trying to apply the above proof to this particular sequence, when we choose the subintervals of the interval [-1,1], they would have to be the ones that contain infinitely many x_n's, right? For instance, I couldn't "choose" the subinterval [0,1/2] because that contains only finitely many x_n's, but if I choose the subinterval [1/2,1], that contains infinitely many x_n's? I just want to clarify that this is what they mean.

x_n = [(−1)^n] * [1-{1/n}]

Each side of 0 is going to contain x_n for infinitely many x_n's, supposedly. But does it really, because I thought infinitely many x_n's meant for all x_n's?

The sequence is contained in [-2, 1]. Now consider [-2, -0.5) and [-0.5, 1]. Both intervals contain infinitely many elements of the sequence, but you have to choose one. Let's choose [-0.5, 1] and split it again: [-0.5, 0.25) and [0.25, 1]. The first one contains no elements, the second contains infinitely many of them, so choose it and split it again into [0.25, 0.625) and [0.625, 1]. The first one contains only one element, the second contains infinitely many, choose it and split: [0.625, 0.8125) and [0.8125, 1]. Again the second one contains infinitely many members. This pattern continues infinitely.

BifSlamkovich said:
It seems that I do not understand the notation for

the statement:

Does it mean x[itex]_{1}[/itex], x[itex]_{2}[/itex], x[itex]_{3}[/itex], x[itex]_{4}[/itex] have to all be in the chosen interval?
No, it means, as it says, that "infinitely many" of the numbers are in the interval. That might be "all except the first four terms" or "all except the first 10 billion terms" or "all even terms with even indices", etc.

Related to Explanation of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem proof

1. What is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is a fundamental result in real analysis that states that every bounded sequence of real numbers has a convergent subsequence. This means that if a sequence of numbers is limited in its range, it will have a subsequence that approaches a single limit.

2. Why is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem important?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is important because it is one of the basic building blocks of real analysis and provides a powerful tool for proving the convergence of sequences. It also has many applications in other branches of mathematics, such as topology and functional analysis.

3. What is the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem?

The proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem involves using the nested interval property and the completeness axiom of the real numbers. It can be divided into two parts: showing that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, and proving that this subsequence converges to the supremum of the sequence's limit points.

4. Can you explain the nested interval property?

The nested interval property is a key part of the proof of the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. It states that if a sequence of closed intervals in the real numbers is nested such that the length of each interval approaches zero, then the intersection of all these intervals contains exactly one point. This point is the limit of the subsequence that the theorem guarantees.

5. Is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem limited to real numbers?

No, the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem is also true for sequences of complex numbers. In fact, it can be generalized to any complete metric space. This means that the theorem applies to a wide variety of mathematical structures, making it a powerful tool in many areas of mathematics.