Exploring Anion Mode: The Benefits & Physics Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an "anion mode" in air humidifiers, which releases negative ions to bond with dust and impurities in the air. These anions are produced by applying a voltage to electrons. The conversation also mentions an article that claims positive ions emitted by electronic devices can have harmful effects on the human body, and that anion-generating air cleaners can help neutralize these positive ions. However, there are concerns about the safety and effectiveness of these devices. The person involved is interested in understanding the science behind this topic rather than relying on publicity.
greg_rack
Gold Member
I was reading some articles about buying an air humidifier when I stepped into an "anion mode" which, if present, makes the divide much more expensive.
It's supposed to release negative ions along with the water vapor that will bond to dust and other impurities in order to "trap" those.

I informed myself more and these anions are produced by "applying a voltage to electrons, giving them the energy to cause ionization".

Along with this, the article I'm talking about claims that:
"Anion removes harmful substance created by electromagnetic wave. Electromagnetic wave emitted from electric and electronic appliances such as TV set and computer has a high level of energy, which creates positive ions in the air. If the density of positive ions rises in the air, it promotes secretion of hormones such as serotonin and free histamine in human body. This may cause asthma, bronchitis, trouble in eyesight, pain in waist and shoulder, nervousness, tension, irregular menstrual period, languor, mental depression and dermatitis, and even give a birth to a deformed baby. Chungpung air cleaner neutralizes and removes positive ions using anions generated on the above-described principle, and helps reduce secretion of stress hormone to cure various diseases including VDT syndrome and building syndrome. It creates lots of anions to promote the vitality of human body."

Now, in this article, positive ions are regarded as absolutely harmful as opposed to negatives. I'm pretty interested in really understanding the physics behind this topic, apart from publicity stunts :)

Likes etotheipi and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is anion mode in scientific research?

Anion mode is a specific mode used in mass spectrometry, a powerful analytical technique used in many scientific fields, including chemistry, biology, and environmental science. Anion mode allows for the detection and analysis of negatively charged molecules, also known as anions.

2. What are the benefits of using anion mode in mass spectrometry?

Anion mode offers several benefits, including increased sensitivity and selectivity for certain types of molecules, such as polar and acidic compounds. It also allows for the detection of larger molecules, which may not be possible in other modes. Additionally, anion mode can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of molecules.

3. How does anion mode work in mass spectrometry?

In anion mode, negatively charged ions are generated from the sample molecules by the addition of an electron. These ions are then separated and detected based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The resulting mass spectrum can provide information about the molecular weight and structure of the sample.

4. What types of samples can be analyzed using anion mode?

Anion mode can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including small molecules, biomolecules, and environmental contaminants. It is particularly useful for the analysis of polar and acidic compounds, which may be difficult to detect using other modes.

5. What are the key considerations when using anion mode in mass spectrometry?

When using anion mode, it is important to carefully consider the sample preparation, ionization source, and mass spectrometer settings to optimize the detection and analysis of anions. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the chemical properties of the sample and the potential interferences that may affect the results.