Exploring Electrical Engineering from a Mechanical Engineering Background

In summary: It may be difficult to get into graduate school with a Bachelors in ME, but it is possible. You may have to retake some undergraduate courses in electrical engineering to prepare for graduate school.
stargazer2357
Hallo everyone
I am studying electrical engineering,I have chosen electrical engineering because I was really excited about the electromagnetic theory ,electromagnetic waves,quantum mechanics ,and topics like fiber optics , optoelectronics ,and quantum electronics.

I have never liked circuits and mostly electrical engineering involves a lot of circuits,I don't feel inspired when I look at them ,I knew that it would be a major issue but a thought that
I would just like them, but I really don't.

I am thinking of becoming a mechanical engineer ,it doesn't involve the electromagnetic theory but it's not really bad it involves thermodynamics, classical mechanics,and fluid mechanics.

After I graduate is it possible to get an MS and a Phd in elctrical engineering ,I would love to do research related to electromagnetic waves, photonics...etc

How does my plan sound and is it really possible to get an MS and a Phd in EE starting from a BS in mechanical engineering

Please help me out ,sorry for putting such a long post ,thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like E&M but don't enjoy circuits, have you considered majoring in Physics? That would seem to fit your interests better than ME. And no, I don't think you would set yourself up well for any MS or PhD in EE without a BSEE.

I'm going to move this to the Academic Guidance forum, since it can involve multiple possible majors, not just engineering.

What about engineering physics?

I would suggest Physics or Engineering Physics.

Is there a reason you have ruled out Physics from your list of possible majors?

I would love to major in physics ,but it would be very difficult if not impossible to have a cereer where I live.

I know that I won't be a good candidate for an MS or Phd in EE starting from a BS in ME,
but I think that some unversities are ok with that you just have to take the core undergraduate subjects,if so how much time would finishing thease subjects take?

Keep in mind you might have a little trouble coming ahead in the near future when trying to apply for Graduate school in EE with a Bachelors in ME. It is a possible task, my Professor has a Bachelors in ME and Masters/PhD in EE but the guy had to go back and retake many undergraduate courses in EE just to be considered into Graduate school. Having said that you might as well just get your Bachelors in EE since you have to take the similar courses anyway to prepare you for Graduate school.

Related to Exploring Electrical Engineering from a Mechanical Engineering Background

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems and devices.

2. Can someone with a mechanical engineering background transition into electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a mechanical engineering background to transition into electrical engineering. Both fields share fundamental principles, and with additional education and training, one can become proficient in electrical engineering.

3. What skills are important for someone exploring electrical engineering from a mechanical engineering background?

Some important skills for exploring electrical engineering from a mechanical engineering background include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to understand and analyze complex systems.

4. How does electrical engineering complement mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering complements mechanical engineering by providing a deeper understanding of the electrical components and systems used in mechanical devices. This allows for more efficient and effective design and troubleshooting of mechanical systems.

5. What are some career opportunities for someone with a background in both mechanical and electrical engineering?

Some career opportunities for someone with a background in both mechanical and electrical engineering include working in industries such as robotics, automation, renewable energy, and aerospace, as well as pursuing research and development positions in various fields.