Exploring Monotonous Functions: Understanding the Unique Solution

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of monotonic functions and their properties. It is stated that monotonic functions can only have one solution and that there is no general method for solving equations involving monotonic functions. The difference between monotonic functions and equations is clarified. The conversation also touches on the concept of monotonicity and its relation to single-valuedness. Examples of functions and equations are given to further explain the concept.
Almost correct. Be careful, something happens at around 0.5, if you can plot it via some software or even with some calculator you will see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes,
x=-2, y=0.0534
x=-1, y=0.259
x=0,5, y=4.88

x=1 , y=0

so it is monotonic increasing for [itex]
(-\infty,1)
[/itex]
And how will I know from which point to which one is monotonic increasing, and decreasing? Should I look first for the 0?

First of all, you cannot write [itex](-\infty,1)[/itex], I understand that you are trying to say somewhere before 1. But what you write is all points from negative infinity to 1 excluding only 1. These are very dangerous mistakes, that you cannot do even when you are asleep!

Regarding your question, just check your notes for finding maxima and minima of functions. I think that is a fair hint for it.

trambolin said:
First of all, you cannot write [itex](-\infty,1)[/itex], I understand that you are trying to say somewhere before 1. But what you write is all points from negative infinity to 1 excluding only 1. These are very dangerous mistakes, that you cannot do even when you are asleep!

Regarding your question, just check your notes for finding maxima and minima of functions. I think that is a fair hint for it.

on this fuction minima is x=1, but maxima I don't know... Why [itex](-\infty,1)[/itex] (moonotonic decreasing) is not correct?