Exploring REU Opportunities: Join the Discussion

In summary: I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.
The program emailed me and told me. It was specifically from my group though. So the geometry group may email people independently.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I already have an offer from one REU (say program A) which I'm very happy with but if I slightly favor another one (say B) whose deadline hasn't even passed yet (it will in a few days, though), is it acceptable for me to contact B and request a faster decision?

Yes, I think it is. Of course you need to write them in a manner, such that they don't feel you're actually expecting them to make a faster decision, but if you explain your situation, it can't hurt, and can only help. After all, it does show that you are more interested in their program, and it also gives them feedback on the situations students that are applying are in due to the timeline of their decision-making process.

I got an offer from Cornell in the fractals group. I think I remember there were people here who went to Cornell in the past. If any of you are still around, what were your general impressions? Also, good advice Ryker. :D

(Ahh, who am I kidding, I'm going to take the offer, but I'd still be interested in hearing past experiences ha.)

Congrats! Do you know about any of the other groups at Cornell?

On my end:
- rejection from Emory
- shortlist for SMALL in the number theory/probability group! But haven't heard back for a few days now...

Haha, Cornell started sending acceptance? I feel like an idiot for not sending mine earlier. Mannn : (

Rejected from Small:((. The email said I had a strong application and encouraged me to apply again, but apparently the geometry group this year are all juniors. Although I'm a freshman, I'm quite disappointed with this "biased" decision, especially when I already had a paper accepted for publication on a research math journal. Good luck to the rest of you guys though.
@lilli: How can you be shortlisted for 2 groups at the same time? Is any of them your first choice?

Has anyone heard back from any Physics REUs?

ghjk said:
Rejected from Small:((. The email said I had a strong application and encouraged me to apply again, but apparently the geometry group this year are all juniors. Although I'm a freshman, I'm quite disappointed with this "biased" decision, especially when I already had a paper accepted for publication on a research math journal. Good luck to the rest of you guys though.
@lilli: How can you be shortlisted for 2 groups at the same time? Is any of them your first choice?

Sorry about the rejection. But you still have two more years to try, am sure you'll get in! Good luck for your other apps.

It's actually one group, the "Number Theory and Probability" group, and yes it's my first choice.

I haven't heard anything from SMALL.:(((
worried...

deciding between utah's summer group program and unc-greensboro (which gave me 48 hours to respond)

any opinions? utah's is so short but i think i like the topic more

automorphsim said:
I haven't heard anything from SMALL.:(((
worried...

I haven't heard anything from SMALL either. I wasn't that worried about this until I started reading this forum. I had applied to 14 and I kind of assumed that would be enough, but now I'm not as sure...

mathandsci said:
I haven't heard anything from SMALL either. I wasn't that worried about this until I started reading this forum. I had applied to 14 and I kind of assumed that would be enough, but now I'm not as sure...

I just assumed that I was rejected...

automorphism said:
I just assumed that I was rejected...

So I just emailed them, they said they will make the final decision in early march...

Has anyone heard back from Clemson or SUNY Potsdam?
Also, Clemson listed that they were funding pending. Would they tell you if the program was just canceled?

lei123 said:
Has anyone heard back from Clemson or SUNY Potsdam?
Also, Clemson listed that they were funding pending. Would they tell you if the program was just canceled?

I emailed SUNY Potsdam recently. They only started looking at applications this week.

I really hope I get in! Their analysis project looks really good.

PhDorBust said:
Bad.

I received acceptance from UCLA RIPS program today. They don't let you pick your project though, and some of the projects sound incredibly boring. =/ On plus side, you get your own office.

I emailed UCLA RIPS a few weeks ago and they said they would not giving acceptances until March. That's weird. Did they accept you for Hong Kong? I think that would be so cool!

eNew said:
I emailed UCLA RIPS a few weeks ago and they said they would not giving acceptances until March. That's weird. Did they accept you for Hong Kong? I think that would be so cool!

It's UCLA, they've accepted ~10 people so far, out of 32 I believe. Also said acceptance rate was 13% so far, which is actually pretty high for these programs.

Hello! I have applied to ~10 REUs as well.

From whom I have heard so far:
1) Rejected at Emory
2) Rejected at Duluth

I haven't heard from the SMALL Program yet either, but I applied for the Number Theory/Probability project.

Got an offer from Cornell - Generating sets of finite groups project! :smile:

Congrats lilli! I guess I'll see you this summer!

Anyone know when LSU is going to be sending out notifications? It said late May when I submitted, but that doesn't seem quite right...

Awesome, I got into Cornell for the combinatorics of triangulations project. I'd like to hear back from Williams before responding (I applied to the algebra project), but since other people on this thread have already heard from them, my chances are probably slim.

Hmm it worries that I haven't heard from Cornell, though I applied close to the deadline. T.T has anybody been rejected?

Just curious if anyone had heard back from Claremont or Clemson yet?

Has anyone heard from the SR-EIP in applied math?

Hi guys who got admitted to SMALL and Cornell,

Congratulations! I am just wondering whether you are from a research university or a liberal arts college? I am from a liberal arts college and feel slightly disadvantaged...

pomegranatez: I haven't heard from Claremont yet.

Has anyone heard from DIMACS at Rutgers? They said they would probably start sending out offers at the beginning of March.

And eNew, don't worry about UCLA. I did RIPS-Beijing last year and didn't get a call until mid-March.

Has anyone heard from Rose-Hulma​n yet? They said they would start sending out offers soon.

Ah! Just got into the MASS program and REU!

But it looks like they are asking me to accept for both, or reject both. I was hoping more to do the REU in Analysis at Potsdam, because the topic looks especially interesting to me. I was hoping to do the Potsdam REU and the MASS program.

Although perhaps the Penn State REU will fit together better with the MASS program (and allow me longer to research).

I haven't heard back from Potsdam yet, so I may still be rejected from there. I'll have to decide quickly what makes most sense. I really hope that Penn State is flexible and will allow me to choose to do MASS, but not the REU...

Nothing from Rose-Hulman yet, but they told me they received all my materials.

No dice on Potsdam either.

Has anyone heard back from Park City Summer Institute? It is not an REU, but i think someone here said that they applied, so I'm just curious?

I got into Penn too!
Does anyone know how the program compares to other programs? And what exactly are the topics at Penn? The website isn't very explicit. Thanks.

R.P.F. said:
Hi guys who got admitted to SMALL and Cornell,

Congratulations! I am just wondering whether you are from a research university or a liberal arts college? I am from a liberal arts college and feel slightly disadvantaged...

I'm from a small liberal arts college.

I'm waiting for Potsdam and Rose-Hulman as well... No word yet.